LONDON – UK broadcaster Channel 5 has ordered a new series from VICE Studios. Building on the success of VICE Studios’ production, Britain’s Cocaine Epidemic, Channel 5 has commissioned a new documentary series, Drug Wars for its flagship channel.
Drug Wars (4×60’) will look at prolific drug use across the UK, offering revealing and strong actuality-led stories and candid insight from users, as well as their families – along with the medical support and police trying to stem the current flow of drug addiction across the country.
The series will explore a range of different narcotics and the young people dependent on them, from the dangerous street and party drugs to those using drugs to obtain the ‘perfect’ body, and those who enhance their sexual freedom with narcotics.
Announcing the commission, VICE Studios’ Creative Director and Executive Producer, Yonni Usiskin, said: “We are delighted to be working with Channel 5 again and we’re looking forward to making this new original, entertaining and very distinct series. This latest commission demonstrates VICE Studios’ increasingly diverse slate of content.”
Guy Davies, Channel 5’s Commissioning Editor for Factual, said: “VICE Studios has a unique storytelling voice which appeals to younger audiences. With cutting edge journalism and unrivalled access we are really pleased to be working with them once again.”
Drug Wars is executive produced by Yonni Usiskin for VICE Studios.
This latest commission follow the success of VICE Studios’ debut commission for Channel 5, Britain’s Cocaine Epidemic. The three-part series traced the UK’s growing obsession with cocaine, offering insight into the users, dealers and addicts for whom it is an everyday drug. The series launched with a debut overnight audience of almost 1 million viewers in the 10pm slot, and was a big hit with 16-34 year old viewers.
- CJ ENM Hong Kong partners with iQIYI International to bring tvN movies SVOD service regionally 99 views | posted on August 7, 2020
- MediaHub Australia celebrates 10th year anniversary with more success and services 78 views | posted on August 7, 2020
- Multiple-award winning Thai film ‘Bad Genius’ has been turned into a 12-part series on Dimsum Entertainment’s platform 61 views | posted on August 6, 2020
- David Elder appointed GM at Silver Trak Digital New Zealand 49 views | posted on August 7, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia posted on July 7, 2020