Luxembourg – SES announced on March 18 that it has increased its reach in 2013 worldwide to 291 million and in Europe to 151 million TV homes. This represents an increase of 5 percent both worldwide and in Europe, compared to the previous year, strongly driven by the development in Africa, Middle East and, especially, India (+18 percent) and in Asia-Pacific (+7 percent). The household reach in Latin America grew by 5 percent, in North America by 3 percent. These are the results of SES’ annual market research, including the detailed Satellite Monitor studies in Europe.
The direct reach from the SES fleet to satellite homes grew from 99 million in 2012 to 106 million satellite TV homes in 2013. The indirect reach through the feed of cable networks from SES satellites grew slightly, from 152 to 153 million homes; the number of IPTV homes fed from SES satellites increased by 27 percent to 31 million. The strongest relative growth of the direct reach came from the Asia-Pacific region (+21 percent) and Africa, Middle East and India (+18 percent). These figures confirm satellite’s continuous increase in reach and its leading role as a broadcasting infrastructure in general and as digital and High Definition (HD) broadcasting infrastructure in particular.
The SES Satellite Monitor results also emphasise again the role of SES in Europe. SES satellites service almost all cable and IPTV homes in Europe (95 percent) and a large majority of the European satellite HD homes (81 percent). The largest single DTH market for SES in Europe remains Germany, with 18 million ASTRA homes receiving their TV signal directly from the SES fleet. SES transmits more than 6,200 TV channels, 1,800 of them in HD.
- Australia’s Nine Network, Taiwan’s Chunghwa Telecom set to broadcast Sonar’s eSports sci-fi series – ‘Interface’ 305 views | posted on October 16, 2020
- Star Stable Entertainment partners with animation studio Ferly for short-form series adaptation of ‘Mistfall’ 64 views | posted on October 16, 2020
- Netflix picks up Philippine adaptation of ‘Descendants of the Sun’ aired on GMA Network 54 views | posted on October 19, 2020
- Celestial Tiger Entertainment announces its first original production on Thrill – ‘Model Family’ 50 views | posted on October 16, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020