Viki recognised as World Economic Forum’s “Technology Pioneer”
New York – The World Economic Forum announced its latest selection of Technology Pioneers, consisting of 36 of the world’s most innovative technology start-ups. These companies are being recognised for their potential to transform the future of business and society. Their achievements will be honoured at the Forum’s Annual Meeting of the New Champions 2013 in Dalian, People’s Republic of China, from 11 to 13 September.
Viki was recognised for its groundbreaking subtitling technology, which enables its community of viewers from around the world to subtitle TV shows, movies and music videos into more than 160 different languages. The technology helps people break down the traditional barriers of language and culture that stand between great entertainment and new audiences. Viki’s community of volunteer-fans has subtitled more than 400 million words — the equivalent of 10,000 novels — in under three years.
“We’re thrilled and honoured to be recognised by the World Economic Forum as a Tech Pioneer for 2014,” said Razmig Hovaghimian, Viki CEO and co-founder. “By removing the wedge that has stood between great entertainment and its fans, we’re being honoured for opening up the world to great content previously trapped by geographical boundaries.”
“The impact of technology continues to increase in all aspects of society,” said David Aikman, Managing Director, Head of New Champions at the World Economic Forum. “The diversity of the innovative thinking and possible solutions they offer are why leaders from all sectors of society are interested in interacting with the Technology Pioneers.”
Some of this year’s Technology Pioneers are being acknowledged for their efforts to cure genetic diseases, provide affordable drinking water and enable access to higher education, as well as to create innovative approaches to distributing natural light in buildings and offering wireless charging for electronic devices.
- Firstlight Media teams with Google Cloud to deliver next-gen OTT 35 views | posted on January 21, 2021
- Short-format OTT platform Biiggbang Amusement launches as it aims to have the world’s largest content library 31 views | posted on January 19, 2021
- GoQuest Media locks in distribution deal with Telekom Srbija 30 views | posted on January 19, 2021
- Rising Asia keeps the region prolific with diverse content 30 views | posted on January 22, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Director S.S. Vikneshwaran by Monina Eugenio | posted on December 28, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020