Viki recognised as World Economic Forum’s “Technology Pioneer”
New York – The World Economic Forum announced its latest selection of Technology Pioneers, consisting of 36 of the world’s most innovative technology start-ups. These companies are being recognised for their potential to transform the future of business and society. Their achievements will be honoured at the Forum’s Annual Meeting of the New Champions 2013 in Dalian, People’s Republic of China, from 11 to 13 September.
Viki was recognised for its groundbreaking subtitling technology, which enables its community of viewers from around the world to subtitle TV shows, movies and music videos into more than 160 different languages. The technology helps people break down the traditional barriers of language and culture that stand between great entertainment and new audiences. Viki’s community of volunteer-fans has subtitled more than 400 million words — the equivalent of 10,000 novels — in under three years.
“We’re thrilled and honoured to be recognised by the World Economic Forum as a Tech Pioneer for 2014,” said Razmig Hovaghimian, Viki CEO and co-founder. “By removing the wedge that has stood between great entertainment and its fans, we’re being honoured for opening up the world to great content previously trapped by geographical boundaries.”
“The impact of technology continues to increase in all aspects of society,” said David Aikman, Managing Director, Head of New Champions at the World Economic Forum. “The diversity of the innovative thinking and possible solutions they offer are why leaders from all sectors of society are interested in interacting with the Technology Pioneers.”
Some of this year’s Technology Pioneers are being acknowledged for their efforts to cure genetic diseases, provide affordable drinking water and enable access to higher education, as well as to create innovative approaches to distributing natural light in buildings and offering wireless charging for electronic devices.
- Meet the K-drama stars of the new series ‘Kairos’ on #TwitterBlueroom Live before its premiere 136 views | posted on October 23, 2020
- Asian storytelling, reimagined: New genres, fresh opportunities for Asian creators at the Singapore Media Festival 2020 48 views | posted on October 21, 2020
- Hotstar launches in Singapore with exclusive streaming of the Dream11 IPL 2020 Playoffs and Final 43 views | posted on October 20, 2020
- Abacus Media Rights appoints distribution sales expert Hana Palmer as Head of Sales 37 views | posted on October 21, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020