Cannes – FremantleMedia’s brand new family friendly game show format Cash or Splash has launched in Cannes with two international versions of the show already under its belt: the first to Paraguay’s Telefuturo and the second to Egypt’s MBC Masr.
An amalgamation of the hit Fuji TV formats Clock Hanger, Boxing Glove, and Run Quiz Run, the format sees teams of contestants compete for cash prizes by answering questions and completing hilarious physical challenges in order to avoid being sent for a plunge into an icy pool of water.
The news reflects an increasing appetite for game and studio shows that have a strong comedic element, and follows recent international successes for other FremantleMedia titles like Thank God You’re Here, Through the Keyhole and Total Blackout. The trend suggests that laughter may not just be good for the soul, but good for the format business too.
Thank God You’re Here, which tests celebrities improvisational skills by throwing them into an unknown situation which they must ad-lib their way through, aired for the first time in Turkey (TRT), Vietnam (VTV3) and Finland (MTV3), where the show became an instant hit rating number one in its timeslot among 15-24s and +97% above the slot average for the same age group.
Through the Keyhole, which sees the show’s host let loose to rummage around three mystery celebrity houses giving comic clues to an all-star panel who then has to guess which famous face lives there, launched as the UK’s highest rated new entertainment show among adults 16-34 in 2013. The Belgian version’s first run on VTM earlier this year, established a similar record as it became Belgium’s highest rated entertainment launch of the past 12 months.
- Firstlight Media teams with Google Cloud to deliver next-gen OTT 31 views | posted on January 21, 2021
- Short-format OTT platform Biiggbang Amusement launches as it aims to have the world’s largest content library 30 views | posted on January 19, 2021
- GoQuest Media locks in distribution deal with Telekom Srbija 28 views | posted on January 19, 2021
- Rising Asia keeps the region prolific with diverse content 26 views | posted on January 22, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Director S.S. Vikneshwaran by Monina Eugenio | posted on December 28, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020