Abacus Media Rights announces further sales of the CBC original supernatural drama ‘Trickster’
Abacus Media Rights (AMR), a member of the Amcomri Media Group, announced North American deals for the Canadian supernatural coming-of-age drama Trickster, from Cardinal producers Sienna Films. The CBC series has been sold to The CW Network and AMC Networks’ Sundance Now and Shudder. Trickster (6 x 60’), based on the best-selling trilogy “Son of a Trickster” written by Eden Robinson, had its world premiere at TIFF in September.
The US premiere of Trickster is planned for 12 January 2021 (9:00 p.m.) on the CW Network followed by the SVOD release on AMC’s Sundance Now and Shudder, which will air the Director’s Cut of the series after the completion of The CW’s broadcast run. From Canadian producers Sienna Films and Streel Films, and already greenlit for a second season by CBC, the series has also been sold to Sky, UK (SyFy); NITV, and SBS On Demand in Australia and Globoplay, Brazil.
A CBC original series, Trickster is created by Streel Films’ Michelle Latimer (Rise, Nuuca) with Tony Elliott (Orphan Black), alongside Executive Producers Sienna Films’ (Cardinal) Jennifer Kawaja and Julia Sereny. All six episodes are directed by Michelle Latimer. Sienna Films is a Sphere Media company.
Jonathan Ford, Managing Director, AMR, comments, “With its focus on diversity and a unique form of storytelling Trickster will have strong appeal to global viewers particularly the elusive younger adult audience. We are delighted that North American audiences will have the opportunity to access the series on multiple platforms.”
Tricksterstars newcomer Joel Oulette (Monkey Beach) as Jared, an indigenous teen struggling to keep his dysfunctional family above water, holding down an after-school job and selling ecstasy to support his partying mom, Maggie (Crystle Lightning – Outlander), who self-medicates an undiagnosed mental illness, and his unemployable dad, Phil (Craig Lauzon – Royal Canadian Air Farce) and his new girlfriend. But when Jared starts seeing strange things — talking ravens, doppelgängers, skin monsters — his already chaotic life is turned upside down. Additional cast includes Kalani Queypo (Jamestown), Anna Lambe (The Grizzlies), Joel Thomas Hynes (Little Dog), Gail Maurice (Cardinal), and Georgina Lightning (Blackstone).
- Abacus Media Rights secures international distribution rights for ‘The Masked Dancer UK’ 104 views | posted on May 17, 2021
- Differentiating the sports OTT experience 103 views | posted on May 14, 2021
- Asian independent short films now accessible worldwide with ZEASN and Viddsee team up 103 views | posted on May 17, 2021
- Social entertainment platform GazeTV breaks the tradition with blockchain, tokenized ecosystem for audiences and video creators 68 views | posted on May 17, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The Asian Television Awards announces Facebook as official industry partner by TVA Editor | posted on May 11, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020