GlobalData: Netflix sees 60% surge in discussions among influencers on Twitter over last 90 days
Netflix is one of the few fortunate companies, which has a service that is more meaningful to people who are forced to stay at home due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This was reflected on Twitter as well, where the influencer discussions related to ‘Netflix’ spiked more than 60 percent during March-May 2020, over the previous 90 days, according to GlobalData, a leading data and analytics company.
There is a huge spike in influencer conversations in April when the company announced that it added an eye-popping 15.8 million new subscribers in the first quarter of 2020 due to home restrictions and reported quarterly revenue of US$5.77bn against the estimated US$5.76bn. In addition to this, the COVID-19 crisis has a positive impact on the company’s stock price as it is up by almost 14% since the beginning of 2020.
Prashant Saxena, an Influencer Expert at GlobalData, says, “Due to COVID-19, people are streaming more content online as they spend more time at home, bringing companies like Netflix to a bright spot in the entertainment sector, with significant growth in new subscribers and higher viewing time.”
In March, there was another spike in conversations on Twitter when the company announced that it agreed with EU in a deal to slow down the speed of its streaming service for 30 days to reduce traffic across Europe by 25 percent and ensure that broadband networks perform adequately as millions of people confined to their homes.
Saxena concludes: “As the world starts easing lockdown restrictions and slowly reopening restaurants and other recreational destinations, it is expected that the viewership and membership numbers for Netflix will likely be impacted in the next coming months.”
- The Asia TV Forum & Market and ScreenSingapore officially opens its virtual doors on 1 December 95 views | posted on December 1, 2020
- Viddsee is empowering Asian storytellers through meaningful content 77 views | posted on December 2, 2020
- TechStorm makes landmark debut in Taiwan with Taiwan’s Portico Media and ONLINE MEDIA’s 4gTV 63 views | posted on December 3, 2020
- Sky TV’s entertainment streaming service, Neon, introduces a revamped platform powered by Evergent 41 views | posted on December 1, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020