Cable and IPTV subscriptions to drive pay-TV services revenues in Japan over next five years, says GlobalData
The total pay-TV revenues in Japan are expected to grow at a slow but encouraging compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 1.0% from US$9.1bn in 2019 to US$9.6 billion in 2024, driven by increasing cable and Internet protocol television (IPTV) subscriptions along with rising pay-TV average revenue per user (ARPU) levels, according to GlobalData, a leading data and analytics company.
GlobalData’s Japan Telecom Operators Country Intelligence Report predicts that cable will continue to be the leading technology to deliver pay-TV services in Japan, as cable subscriptions grow at a slow CAGR of 0.1% over 2019-2024. On the other hand, IPTV subscriptions will grow at a CAGR of 1.2% during 2019-2024, supported by growing optical fiber network coverage in the country.
Deepa Dhingra, Telecom Analyst at GlobalData, says: “The pay-TV household penetration in Japan will decline marginally from an estimated 37.9% in 2019 to 37.5% by year-end 2024 due to growing demand for over-the-top (OTT) based video services in the country.
“KDDI will lead the pay-TV service segment in Japan over 2019-2024, supported by its leading position in the cable-TV segment and growing focus on IPTV segment. Moreover, the operator is focusing on providing cost effective multi play packages to retain its position in the market.”
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One 1.3k views | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced 488 views | posted on January 17, 2021
- Nippon TV’s award-winning drama series ‘Mother’ Thai version wins Best Script Writing at the 25th Asian Television Awards 101 views | posted on January 18, 2021
- Bilibili presents China’s first virtual idol musical fantasy film ‘Vox Ultima’ 80 views | posted on January 15, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Director S.S. Vikneshwaran by Monina Eugenio | posted on December 28, 2020
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Producer Alan Eucharis Choo by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 11, 2021