Localised “YO! MTV Raps” series greenlit for Southeast Asia, UK, Germany, Africa
SINGAPORE – Global youth brand MTV International has greenlit local versions of its legendary hip-hop franchise YO! MTV Raps for Southeast Asia, UK, Germany and Africa. Like the original, each localised YO! will be a destination for current and new fans to discover the best in rap music and hip hop culture.
Reinvented for the current generation of hip hop fans around the world, each international YO! will be anchored by two local presenters and feature regional emerging artists, in-studio and remote custom performances (YO! Originals), as well as special segments that tell unique stories and discover compelling people and trends within each local hip hop scene.
YO! MTV Raps UK will debut on 25 September 2018, with the Southeast Asian, German and African launches slated to rollout into 2019.
The multi-territory YO! expansion follows MTV’s June livestream of the YO! MTV Raps 30th Anniversary Experience that brought together an epic all-star lineup of hip hop legends at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY; as well as MTV Asia’s YO! MTV Raps special which also aired in June featuring 11 Asian hip-hop artists from Indonesia, Korea, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand. The top performing 5-artist Cypher video garnered over 1.2 million video views in Southeast Asia. (A cypher or cipher is an informal gathering of rappers, beatboxers, and/or break-dancers in a circle, in order to jam musically together.)
“Our reimagined YO! MTV Raps series will celebrate all aspects of hip hop culture and the global force it has become. Music will of course be at the heart of each episode,” said Bruce Gillmer, global head of music and talent, Viacom and co-brand head, MTV International. “Relaunching this legendary franchise with local perspectives will give today’s generation of hip hop lovers a fresh platform to share their passion and love for hip hop all over the world.”
“It was a thrilling ride to produce the power-packed YO! MTV Raps special in Asia. Now, we’re really stoked to expand on that, going into a localized series for music fans in Southeast Asia. This is our take on the genre, the Asian lens into hip hop, and we want it to be vocal, passionate and original. It is exciting to take this across MTV’s platforms – TV, digital and social. With multiple fan touch points, we hope to provide a voice for Asian hip-hop culture, and a deserving spotlight to Asian hip-hop artists,” said Abhishek K Rao, Senior Director, MTV Brand, Southeast Asia.
After its debut 30 years ago on August 6, 1988, YO! MTV Raps became the premiere destination for all things hip hop. The advent of the series was crucial to the rise of rap music, and created a global passion for the genre and greater hip hop culture, which has since become the most dominant force in mainstream music and pop culture worldwide.
Additional details and talents for each local series will be announced at a later date.
- AXN All-Stars reunites entertainment heavyweights in a heart-warming virtual collaborative performance 85 views | posted on November 27, 2020
- iQIYI International expands global footprint with launch on Zeasn’s Whale Eco 75 views | posted on November 27, 2020
- The Asia TV Forum & Market and ScreenSingapore officially opens its virtual doors on 1 December 72 views | posted on December 1, 2020
- Silvergate Media prepares to launch season two of award-winning animated series ‘Hilda’ 50 views | posted on November 27, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020