Teletica achieves huge digital audience with 2018 World Cup
SAN JOSÉ – Teletica, Costa Rica’s first television company founded in 1958, previously partnered with cloud-video specialists Grabyo ahead of the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia to take advantage of its exclusive TV broadcasting rights on social media. A first for the broadcaster, Teletica published real-time, geo-restricted video clips from the tournament directly to Costa Rican users on Facebook and Twitter, achieving almost 18 million video views in a country with a total population of just under five million people.
Throughout the tournament, Teletica used the Grabyo platform to clip in-game highlights from its broadcast feed, creating horizontal and square videos optimised for mobile viewing, before publishing directly to Facebook and Twitter. The clips were distributed in in seconds generating 77 million impressions.
As one of the biggest broadcasters in Costa Rica, Teletica partnered with Grabyo to expand the reach of its World Cup content in order to satisfy demand from fans across the country. The television company recognised the size of the audience for social video, and the appetite for ‘near-live’ video clips at major sporting events. By partnering with Grabyo to deliver real-time highlights to Facebook and Twitter, Teletica expanded its reach dramatically and maximised its assets, driving viewers to its dedicated World Cup webpages and TV coverage.
Mike Kelley, President of Americas at Grabyo said: “We are proud to have been a part of such an innovative and customer-focused approach to broadcasting taken by Teletica for the 2018 World Cup. At Grabyo we see demand for social video hitting new heights every day across Latin America, especially real-time clips for sports. The number of views Teletica achieved speaks for itself – making the World Cup available for Costa Rican fans on every platform is fantastic.”
Utilising social platforms and distributing content in real-time is a great way to create shared experiences by connecting communities with similar interests, social video is an established and powerful tool for engaging viewers and building a loyal customer base.
Karla Stephanie Jimenez Mena, Coordinator of Social Networks and Interactive Projects at Teletica said: “Bringing the joy of the World Cup to people all over Costa Rica is something we are extremely proud of. The World Cup connects people from all over the world and we wanted to reflect this in our content. We saw people discussing the match clips on social media and, sharing the experience, which helped drive viewing for our broadcast TV coverage.”
- The Q bolsters its original content offering; Announces first TV original ‘Crime Aur Kanoon’ 173 views | posted on July 20, 2021
- Astro launches its new Ultra Plug & Play Box 122 views | posted on July 23, 2021
- iQiyi reveals brand-new Chinese language drama slate 121 views | posted on July 21, 2021
- Asia’s e-sports broadcasters unlock an exciting world of gameplay 93 views | posted on July 20, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The Asian Television Awards announces Facebook as official industry partner by TVA Editor | posted on May 11, 2021