QYOU India appoints Andy Kaplan as Board Chairman
DUBLIN/LOS ANGELES/TORONTO – QYOU Media has named Andy Kaplan as Chairman of Board of Directors for QYOU India, a newly formed subsidiary of QYOU Media which delivers localised and curated digital-first video content to an Indian audience of over 185 million mobile and TV subscribers. Kaplan was formerly the President of Sony Pictures Worldwide Networks.
As Chairman of the Board of QYOU India, Kaplan will leverage his extensive experience in leading television networks to success in local territories and work toward QYOU India becoming a premier destination for the very best original, digital-first content in India.
Kaplan will also take a board observer position in parent company, QYOU Media, supporting development of the QYOU brand worldwide.
A media and entertainment veteran, Kaplan spent over sixteen years at Sony Pictures leading its global television networks and related investments, with over 180 channel feeds reaching nearly two billion subscribers. Under his leadership, Kaplan grew Sony Pictures Worldwide Networks’ portfolio from a handful of international channels to include some of the most popular digital media brands.
He also turned Sony Pictures Networks India into one of the largest media businesses in the rapidly growing Indian market by leading it through a number of successful acquisitions, partnerships, and new programming launches including the groundbreaking initial ten-year deal for the broadcasting rights to the Indian Premier League and the acquisition of Ten Sports.
QYOU has gone from strength-to-strength in India, culminating in the launch of Q India on Tata Sky, and an expansion of its content partnerships to include some of the most watched and influential YouTube channels in India.
“Digital-first video content and mobile video consumption are shaking up the entire TV ecosystem due to huge demand from millennial and generation z audiences. India boasts a highly developed TV market and upwardly mobile audience, with viewers showing a huge appetite for new and exciting types of content,” said Andy Kaplan.
“In just a few short years, QYOU Media has made inroads into the Indian market to become a go-to destination for digital-first content for TV audiences, forging relationships with some of the major TV providers. I am delighted to have the opportunity to support QYOU India to continue this success and replicate it in other fast-growth markets,” he added.
Curt Marvis, CEO and Co-Founder of QYOU Media, commented: “From India to Latin America, Andy’s career is an accumulation of successful expansions into rapidly growing TV markets with fresh with compelling content. Over the past year, QYOU Media has built and maintained momentum with Q India. Andy’s appointment is important to shaping the next stage of our growth by offering strategic insight and a deep knowledge of the Indian TV market.”
The appointment follows the announcement in March 2018 that Lionsgate’s recently retired Co-COO Steve Beeks had joined QYOU Media’s Board of Directors, subject to applicable stock exchange approvals.
- Firstlight Media teams with Google Cloud to deliver next-gen OTT 31 views | posted on January 21, 2021
- Short-format OTT platform Biiggbang Amusement launches as it aims to have the world’s largest content library 30 views | posted on January 19, 2021
- GoQuest Media locks in distribution deal with Telekom Srbija 28 views | posted on January 19, 2021
- A+E Networks® continues commitment to women in front of and behind the camera with ‘Women in Global Entertainment (WGE): Power Profile’ at virtual NATPE 2021 26 views | posted on January 22, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Director S.S. Vikneshwaran by Monina Eugenio | posted on December 28, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020