Titled The Drive Home, the six-minute film is about a teenager who is made to visit his grandfather in Singapore after having lived and studied abroad in Australia for some time.
Unknown to him, his visit comes in the run-up to National Day which means a lot to his grandfather. Their generation gap and time spent apart make for comic and sometimes strained interactions, but also highlight the gulf between their attitudes to National Day.
“The film puts the spotlight on the significance of National Day and by extension, the definition of home,” said Ms Lian Pek, Vice President for Group Strategic Communications and Brand at Singtel.
“What defines home for Singaporeans and how does one generation pass on their love of country and home to the next? These are questions we try to tackle through a simple tale about how a grandfather yearns to see his grandson share his sense of patriotism and national pride.”
Initially, the grandson’s feeling of displacement is so strong that his father agrees to cut his trip short. Luckily, a little more bonding time with grandpa stokes childhood memories and a newfound appreciation for Singapore.
“We always say people make the place and home is where the heart is. Our shared histories with family, friends and community, shape our sense of belonging and give us our national identity,” said Pek. “As our society gets more global and families more nuclear, these bonds will hopefully endure to make Singapore a place we can always call home.”
The Drive Home is a collaboration between Singtel, Akanga Films and award-winning filmmaker K. Rajagopal. It airs on Singtel TV and social media platforms from 12 July to 13 August 2018.
Singtel’s previous films such as Ah Ma’s Christmas and Mr Lim’s Reunion Dinner have generated over 15 million views on Facebook to date.
- Global Agency announces new sales for rom-com series ‘Daydreamer’ 10.1k views | posted on October 27, 2020
- BBC Studios announces deal with Discovery Inc. for ‘Top Gear’ catalogue in Japan 68 views | posted on October 26, 2020
- CNN International Commercial appoints Rob Bradley and Cathy Ibal to lead ‘Audience First’ strategy 51 views | posted on October 29, 2020
- ITV Studios presents its exciting content slate at its inaugural Fall Festival 43 views | posted on October 26, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020