Titled The Drive Home, the six-minute film is about a teenager who is made to visit his grandfather in Singapore after having lived and studied abroad in Australia for some time.
Unknown to him, his visit comes in the run-up to National Day which means a lot to his grandfather. Their generation gap and time spent apart make for comic and sometimes strained interactions, but also highlight the gulf between their attitudes to National Day.
“The film puts the spotlight on the significance of National Day and by extension, the definition of home,” said Ms Lian Pek, Vice President for Group Strategic Communications and Brand at Singtel.
“What defines home for Singaporeans and how does one generation pass on their love of country and home to the next? These are questions we try to tackle through a simple tale about how a grandfather yearns to see his grandson share his sense of patriotism and national pride.”
Initially, the grandson’s feeling of displacement is so strong that his father agrees to cut his trip short. Luckily, a little more bonding time with grandpa stokes childhood memories and a newfound appreciation for Singapore.
“We always say people make the place and home is where the heart is. Our shared histories with family, friends and community, shape our sense of belonging and give us our national identity,” said Pek. “As our society gets more global and families more nuclear, these bonds will hopefully endure to make Singapore a place we can always call home.”
The Drive Home is a collaboration between Singtel, Akanga Films and award-winning filmmaker K. Rajagopal. It airs on Singtel TV and social media platforms from 12 July to 13 August 2018.
Singtel’s previous films such as Ah Ma’s Christmas and Mr Lim’s Reunion Dinner have generated over 15 million views on Facebook to date.
- Firstlight Media teams with Google Cloud to deliver next-gen OTT 31 views | posted on January 21, 2021
- Short-format OTT platform Biiggbang Amusement launches as it aims to have the world’s largest content library 30 views | posted on January 19, 2021
- GoQuest Media locks in distribution deal with Telekom Srbija 28 views | posted on January 19, 2021
- A+E Networks® continues commitment to women in front of and behind the camera with ‘Women in Global Entertainment (WGE): Power Profile’ at virtual NATPE 2021 26 views | posted on January 22, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Director S.S. Vikneshwaran by Monina Eugenio | posted on December 28, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020