LOS ANGELES/NEW YORK/ROME/MILAN/BARCELONA – Two-time Academy Award nominee John Malkovich is set to join the cast of The New Pope from Academy Award winning director Paolo Sorrentino, with production set to begin in Italy in November.
The series will also star two-time Academy Award nominee Jude Law. Written by Paolo Sorrentino with Umberto Contarello and Stefano Bises, this marks Sorrentino’s second limited series set in the world of the modern papacy.
The Young Pope, which was created and directed by Sorrentino debuted on SKY in October of 2016 and on HBO in January of 2017. In total, The Young Pope aired in 150 territories. Law was nominated for a Golden Globe in the category of Best Actor in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture for TV for his performance.
The New Pope, an original production of SKY-HBO, is produced by Lorenzo Mieli and Mario Gianani for Wildside and co-produced by Mediapro. FremantleMedia International will act as the global distributor for The New Pope.
Founded in 2009, Wildside has produced several award winning movies, competing in Europe’s most renowned festivals of Cannes, Venice and Berlin, while also accomplishing a long streak of commercial hits. For TV, Wildside has produced three seasons of the local adaptation of In Treatment, 1992 and 1993. It is currently producing My Brilliant Friend directed by Saverio Costanzo, based on Elena Ferrante quadrilogy. Wildside is part of FremantleMedia, one of the largest creators, producers and distributors of television brands in the world.
The Mediapro Group holds a global leading position regarding multimedia content and specializes in the areas of media content integration, production, and distribution with 50 offices around the world. Mediapro’s content division develops, creates, produces and distributes content of every genre and all types of formats, whether for television, cinema or exhibitions.
The Group also produces content in the United States, Portugal, Argentina and the Middle East. The content division is currently involved in production projects for HBO, Netflix, Amazon, DirectTV, Fox, Viacom and Turner, with creative talents such as Ran Tellem, David Simon, Daniel Calparsoro, Paolo Sorrentino and Daniel Écija.
The film content teams of the Group have produced more than 50 films with directors such as Woody Allen, Oliver Stone, Isabel Coixet, Fernando León de Aranoa, Roman Polanski, Patricio Guzmán, Álex de la Iglesia and Manuel Huerga. Its productions have received widespread recognition from both audiences and critics alike, and at film festivals worldwide winning awards 2 Oscars, 2 Golden Globes, 2 Independent Spirits, 28 Goya, 1 Silver Bear and 1 Bafta.
- Meet the K-drama stars of the new series ‘Kairos’ on #TwitterBlueroom Live before its premiere 317 views | posted on October 23, 2020
- Asian storytelling, reimagined: New genres, fresh opportunities for Asian creators at the Singapore Media Festival 2020 52 views | posted on October 21, 2020
- Hotstar launches in Singapore with exclusive streaming of the Dream11 IPL 2020 Playoffs and Final 45 views | posted on October 20, 2020
- BBC Studios announces deal with Discovery Inc. for ‘Top Gear’ catalogue in Japan 39 views | posted on October 26, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020