LOS ANGELES/NEW YORK/ROME/MILAN/BARCELONA – Two-time Academy Award nominee John Malkovich is set to join the cast of The New Pope from Academy Award winning director Paolo Sorrentino, with production set to begin in Italy in November.
The series will also star two-time Academy Award nominee Jude Law. Written by Paolo Sorrentino with Umberto Contarello and Stefano Bises, this marks Sorrentino’s second limited series set in the world of the modern papacy.
The Young Pope, which was created and directed by Sorrentino debuted on SKY in October of 2016 and on HBO in January of 2017. In total, The Young Pope aired in 150 territories. Law was nominated for a Golden Globe in the category of Best Actor in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture for TV for his performance.
The New Pope, an original production of SKY-HBO, is produced by Lorenzo Mieli and Mario Gianani for Wildside and co-produced by Mediapro. FremantleMedia International will act as the global distributor for The New Pope.
Founded in 2009, Wildside has produced several award winning movies, competing in Europe’s most renowned festivals of Cannes, Venice and Berlin, while also accomplishing a long streak of commercial hits. For TV, Wildside has produced three seasons of the local adaptation of In Treatment, 1992 and 1993. It is currently producing My Brilliant Friend directed by Saverio Costanzo, based on Elena Ferrante quadrilogy. Wildside is part of FremantleMedia, one of the largest creators, producers and distributors of television brands in the world.
The Mediapro Group holds a global leading position regarding multimedia content and specializes in the areas of media content integration, production, and distribution with 50 offices around the world. Mediapro’s content division develops, creates, produces and distributes content of every genre and all types of formats, whether for television, cinema or exhibitions.
The Group also produces content in the United States, Portugal, Argentina and the Middle East. The content division is currently involved in production projects for HBO, Netflix, Amazon, DirectTV, Fox, Viacom and Turner, with creative talents such as Ran Tellem, David Simon, Daniel Calparsoro, Paolo Sorrentino and Daniel Écija.
The film content teams of the Group have produced more than 50 films with directors such as Woody Allen, Oliver Stone, Isabel Coixet, Fernando León de Aranoa, Roman Polanski, Patricio Guzmán, Álex de la Iglesia and Manuel Huerga. Its productions have received widespread recognition from both audiences and critics alike, and at film festivals worldwide winning awards 2 Oscars, 2 Golden Globes, 2 Independent Spirits, 28 Goya, 1 Silver Bear and 1 Bafta.
- The Q bolsters its original content offering; Announces first TV original ‘Crime Aur Kanoon’ 173 views | posted on July 20, 2021
- Astro launches its new Ultra Plug & Play Box 125 views | posted on July 23, 2021
- iQiyi reveals brand-new Chinese language drama slate 121 views | posted on July 21, 2021
- Asia’s e-sports broadcasters unlock an exciting world of gameplay 93 views | posted on July 20, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The Asian Television Awards announces Facebook as official industry partner by TVA Editor | posted on May 11, 2021