Sydney – Sony Pictures Television (SPT) announced the expansion of its international production business into Australia with the acquisition of Playmaker Media, an independent scripted television production company.
“Playmaker is having fantastic success creating the next generation of distinctive, high quality Australian television drama. They are a great addition to our international production group and we look forward to working with David and David to continue to build their award-winning company,” said Andrea Wong, president, international production for SPT.
Playmaker’s popular drama House Husbands has been renewed for a fourth season by The Nine Network and is soon to be adapted in France and Italy. In 2015, The Nine Network will also broadcast the second season of the production company’s coming-of-age drama Love Child, which has been acquired by a number of international broadcasters. Playmaker’s most recent hit, The Code, for the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC), has been acquired by the BBC for the UK and DirecTV in the U.S. In addition, Hiding, a new family drama set in the world of witness protection, will premiere on ABC in 2015.
In November, Playmaker Media was named the Media Super Production Business of the Year at the 14th annual Screen Producers Australia Awards.
- Global Agency announces new sales for rom-com series ‘Daydreamer’ 10.1k views | posted on October 27, 2020
- BBC Studios announces deal with Discovery Inc. for ‘Top Gear’ catalogue in Japan 67 views | posted on October 26, 2020
- CNN International Commercial appoints Rob Bradley and Cathy Ibal to lead ‘Audience First’ strategy 48 views | posted on October 29, 2020
- Synamedia report: Knockout blow for sports piracy requires incentives and deterrents 40 views | posted on October 27, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020