Following the huge success of Myanmar’s first Satellite Forum, the Myanmar government has outlined plans to launch its own satellite within five years with “an open, fair and transparent tendering process”. The debate will also be continued at next year’s Myanmar Satellite Forum, set to take place on 18 November 2015 alongside Communicast 2015 at Myanmar Event Park, Yangon.
Myanmar’s first Satellite Forum attracted overwhelming support from international satellite operators, manufacturers and launch providers, including: APT Satellite Company, Air Mandalay, Arianespace, AsiaSat, Comsys, Eutelsat, Hughes, MHI Launch Services, Marsh, Newtec, O3B Networks, Optus, SES, Speedcast, Thales Alenia Space and Platinum sponsors of the event were Intelsat, Gilat and ABS.
Keynote speaker at the event and Deputy Minister, Ministry of Communications and Information Technology Myanmar H.E. U Thaung Tin said, “The Myanmar Satellite Forum has been a very successful launch event, providing the opportunity for both the Ministry to have a better understanding of the options available and for the Myanmar business community to associate itself with a key industry sector. While the national priority is for Myanmar to have its own satellite, it is also important that by opening the market the Ministry enhances the development of the broader ICT industry.”
“Although there is no timeline for the launch of a satellite, the selection process will follow that of the international mobile licences, with an open, fair and transparent tendering process, followed by public consultation. We look forward to supporting the second Forum in a year’s time,” he added.
The event featured a diverse range of topics including: “The Role for Satellite Throughout Myanmar,” digital villages and community access points, the opportunity for broadband panels to stimulate “Rapid Advances in Social and Economic Development,” “The Importance of e-Government,” “Distance Learning and e-Health,” plus “Economic & Social Sustainability in Asia,” “Mobile Satellite Backhaul,” “Disaster Recovery and Enterprise Services in sectors such as Oil & Gas, Banking and Mining.”
- A+E Networks Korea’s first Korean drama series ‘Backstreet Rookie’ hits international popularity 9,469 views | posted on July 31, 2020
- New young adult basketball mini-series ‘Fly The Jumper’ broke record viewerships 96 views | posted on August 3, 2020
- Astro: Agility in adapting to the new world 94 views | posted on August 3, 2020
- GMA News and GMA Public Affairs are the top online news outlets in the Philippines 74 views | posted on August 4, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia posted on July 7, 2020