Beverly Hills, California – Starz Chief Executive Officer, Chris Albrecht, announced August 15 that Starz has once again partnered with Sony Pictures Television to greenlight a second season of Outlander, the critically-acclaimed original series adapted from Diana Gabaldon’s international bestselling books. Season two will be at least 13 episodes and based upon the second of eight books in the Outlander series, entitled Dragonfly in Amber.
The first 16-episode season of Outlander, filmed on location in Scotland, debuted on August 9 at 9pm PT/ET, with the first episode setting multiplatform viewing records, surpassing five million views in the first week alone, drawing equal male and female viewership (**SOURCE: Starz internal data and Nielsen audience figures as of 8/14/14). Additionally, the series premiere marked a notable media and social media success for the network, with fans hosting viewing parties around the country. It was No. 1 in Nielsen Ratings for Twitter conversation volume among all television series on premiere day, trended twice at No. 2 in U.S. Twitter Trends (**SOURCE: Sysomos).
“The overwhelming support Outlander has received from the fans, viewers and critics made the decision for us to go ahead with the second book a very easy one. Diana Gabaldon has given us years of great drama. With an incredible artist such as Ronald D. Moore at the helm and a cast as spectacular as this, we look forward to continuing this spell-binding journey with Claire, Jamie, Frank, Brianna, Roger and everybody over the centuries,” said Albrecht.
Creator Ronald D. Moore said, “I’m thrilled at the prospect of doing another season of this show for STARZ. This project has been a labour of love from the very beginning and it’s incredibly gratifying to see it succeed with viewers and critics alike.”
“Fans of the Outlander books have waited a long time to see this incredible story brought to life on screen, and Ron and his team have delivered a show that exceeds expectations,” said Zack Van Amburg, President of Programming for Sony Pictures Television. “We look forward to our continued partnership with Starz to present the next chapter of this epic tale to longtime fans and viewers who are just discovering the series.”
- Hong Kong FILMART Online to open on 15 March 75 views | posted on March 3, 2021
- Lee Seung-gi makes K-drama comeback with ‘Mouse’ to be aired on tvN 30 views | posted on March 3, 2021
- Disney’s ‘Raya and the Last Dragon’ to stream on Disney+ with Premier Access from 5 March 28 views | posted on March 2, 2021
- ABP Network achieves threefold growth in digital 24 views | posted on March 4, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Director S.S. Vikneshwaran by Monina Eugenio | posted on December 28, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020