MEASAT and Newtec to deliver UHDTV 4K transmission with DVB-S2X
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and Singapore – Newtec and MEASAT Satellite Systems Sdn. Bhd. (“MEASAT”) will be delivering a world premier at the CommunicAsia show (June 17-20) with satellite transmission of 4K UHDTV video distributed using the new DVB-S2X transmission standard.
The extensions to the DVB-S2 standard, a new specification developed by DVB including Newtec, called DVB-S2X, will be instrumental for the satellite industry to keep pace with demands for new features and increased efficiency. Published only in February 2014, DVB-S2X reaches efficiency gains over DVB-S2 of up to 51% for professional applications and up to 20% for DTH. This new standard is much needed as the growing consumption of video and data continues to squeeze bandwidth. The demonstration will be displayed in 4K UHDTV at CommunicAsia in Singapore at MEASAT’s booth. The feed will be uplinked via MEASAT’s teleport in Cyberjaya, Kuala Lumpur, and delivered live via MEASAT-3 satellite in C-Band, using Newtec’s new DVB-S2X modulation equipment.
“Last year MEASAT demonstrated its capability to deliver 4K UHDTV over satellite. This year we continue our efforts to pioneer the early adoption of cutting edge technologies with a live demonstration of UHDTV over satellite using the new DVB-S2X standard,” said Raj Malik, SVP – Sales and Marketing, MEASAT. “With DVB-S2X, MEASAT can support our broadcast customers with a more efficient and cost-effective use of our satellite capacity.”
The new standard implemented on Newtec’s product range, or as a software upgrade to existing products, brings multiple new capabilities on top of DVB-S2. These include lower Roll-Offs (RO), increased granularity in MODCOD choices, higher efficient modulation optimised for use in linear and non-linear operations, and a standard mechanism to bond carriers together, creating one big transmission pipe for multiple 4K programmes over existing transponders.
“This demonstrates not only that satellite networks are ready for 4K UHDTV but also that DVB-S2X is ready to help satellite operators and broadcasters cut costs or deliver more content within the same capacity. It is no longer a question of whether the new DVB-S2X standard will be used in broadcast contribution and distribution networks, but rather a question of when,” said Steven Soenens, VP Product and Market Management at Newtec.
- Tokyo Broadcasting System Television, Inc. licenses global streaming rights to ‘Ninja Warrior’, ‘Unbeatable Banzuk’ 320 views | posted on April 15, 2021
- Jiangsu Broadcasting Corp. brings China’s stories to the international stage 64 views | posted on April 17, 2021
- Viu launches Viu Shorts! Thailand 62 views | posted on April 19, 2021
- Barco partners with Ideal Systems to strengthen visualisation capabilities for broadcast in the region 43 views | posted on April 15, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020