HKTV plans hit ‘dead end’; Ricky Wong plans court action
South China Morning Post reports that the entrepreneur who revolutionalised Hong Kong’s telecom market says the government has pushed him to a dead end after it repeatedly blocked him from entering the television market.
Hong Kong Television Network (HKTV) chairman Ricky Wong Wai-kay said on March 13 that he would take the battle to court after the government cited legal reasons to stop him from launching a mobile television service on July 1.
“This is a laughable and violent move,” Wong said. “The Hong Kong government has stopped us from realising our dreams again and again. We have reached a dead end. We just want to make good TV. Do ‘you’ have to go this far?”
He was speaking after the Office of the Communications Authority (Ofca) told HKTV that unless it limited its audience to 5,000 households or fewer it would have to apply for a free or pay television licence under the Broadcasting Ordinance.
“I’m left with no choice but to postpone the HKTV launch and suspend production of new programmes,” Wong said.
“It’s ridiculous … more fictional than fiction,” Civic Party lawmaker Claudia Mo Man-ching said.
- Discovery, Inc. announces leadership changes in Asia Pacific 119 views | posted on August 3, 2021
- Disney’s ‘Jungle Cruise’ to stream on Disney+ with Premier Access from 30 July 74 views | posted on July 30, 2021
- Stay entertained with these new and exciting releases from Viu this August 65 views | posted on August 2, 2021
- Tata Sky Binge delivers aggregation across 11 streaming apps, powered by ThinkAnalytics 58 views | posted on July 30, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The Asian Television Awards announces Facebook as official industry partner by TVA Editor | posted on May 11, 2021