Half a billion Asia-Pacific homes to convert to digital TV
The Asia-Pacific region is undergoing a rapid digital TV conversion that will see penetration increase from 28.9% of TV households in 2010 to 51.7% in 2013, then 61.2% by end-2014, and on to 97.5% in 2020 – or up by 501 million homes between 2013 and 2020, according to a new report from Digital TV Research.
The Digital TV Asia Pacific Forecasts report reveals that China will provide 225 million of the extra digital TV homes, with India adding a further 118 million. However, 159.6 million homes in the region will not own a TV set by 2020, although this is down from 195.9 million in 2013 and 221.8 million in 2010.
China and India have a massive influence, with a combined 663 million TV households (or 70% of the region’s total) by 2020. China has as many TV households as Europe and North America combined.
Despite the rapid conversion, digital TV will still have plenty of room for growth for some time to come. Only 12 of the 22 countries forecast in this report will have fully converted to digital by 2020.
Of the 501 million digital homes to be added between 2013 and 2020, 172 million will come from DTT. However, the number of analog terrestrial homes will fall by 220 million. Digital cable will contribute a further 200 million additional homes, with analog cable losing 155 million. Pay satellite TV will supply an extra 47 million, with FTA satellite TV adding 14 million. Pay IPTV will record 69 million more subs.
- Meet the K-drama stars of the new series ‘Kairos’ on #TwitterBlueroom Live before its premiere 87 views | posted on October 23, 2020
- Netflix picks up Philippine adaptation of ‘Descendants of the Sun’ aired on GMA Network 60 views | posted on October 19, 2020
- BBC Studios, Bilibili sign new content sales and production agreement to bring the best of BBC to China 42 views | posted on October 19, 2020
- Netflix action-thriller ‘6 Underground’ becomes the first movie to receive a rebate for outsourcing its visual effects to Malaysia 39 views | posted on October 19, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020