Alibaba buys ChinaVision controlling stake for $804 million
(Reuters) – China’s largest e-commerce company Alibaba Group Holding has agreed to buy a controlling stake in ChinaVision Media Group Ltd for $804 million, giving it access to TV and movie content as competition in the world’s biggest Internet market becomes increasingly cutthroat.
The pact, which sent ChinaVision’s stock surging, comes amid a flurry of deals as Alibaba, social media giant Tencent Holdings Ltd and search engine Baidu Inc seek to expand into each other’s turf. This week Tencent said it was taking a stake in China’s No. 2 online retailer JD.com, with the new partnership gunning for Alibaba’s Achilles heel – its weakness in mobile.
Alibaba’s acquisition of TV and movie content is aimed at retaining current users and attracting more, and comes on the heels of its launch of its Ali TV operating system last July as well as the launch of a mobile gaming platform this year.
ChinaVision and Alibaba said they will establish a strategic committee to explore future opportunities in online entertainment and media-related areas.
Alibaba will, through a subsidiary, buy 60 percent of ChinaVision’s enlarged share capital at HK$0.50 apiece, a discount of about 21 percent to its previous stock close.
- Blue Ant Media promotes Jamie Schouela to President, Global Channels and Media; Carlyn Staudt to Global General Manager, Love Nature 41 views | posted on September 24, 2020
- True crime documentary series ‘The Night Caller’ pre-sales from Abacus Media Rights 39 views | posted on September 25, 2020
- GMA Network launches new Asian-pop culture digital channel 37 views | posted on September 24, 2020
- Ekaterina Yakushenko joins newly revamped THEMA RUS 31 views | posted on September 25, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020