Discovery to become majority stakeholder in Eurosport
Silver Spring, Maryland, & Paris – Discovery Communications and French broadcaster TF1 Group have announced that Discovery will acquire a controlling interest in Eurosport International through an extension of their larger strategic partnership first announced in December 2012. The deal to increase Discovery’s interest from 20 to 51 percent accelerates the original agreement by nearly one year.
“Eurosport is one of the strongest, most dynamic sports platforms in the world. Over the past year, as we have been working directly with our partners from TF1, it became clear that combining the power of Eurosport’s brands and audience reach with Discovery’s network portfolio, boots on the ground, and country-specific expertise creates an unrivaled and powerful offering for viewers, advertisers and affiliates,” said David Zaslav, President and CEO of Discovery Communications. “Today’s announcement underscores Discovery’s strategy to support already strong organic growth with targeted acquisitions and partnerships. This deal will enable our industry-leading International team and its new leader, JB Perrette, to create new value for our business partners by developing and sharing programming across channel brands, and building a stronger and more diversified network portfolio. We are privileged to continue our successful relationship with TF1 Group and look forward to growing Eurosport for many years to come.”
The flagship Eurosport network reaches 133 million homes across 54 countries in 20 languages. Eurosport’s brands and platforms also include: Eurosport 2, reaching 69 million households across 51 countries; Eurosport HD, the high definition simulcast of Eurosport, available in 32 million homes in 48 countries; Eurosport Asia-Pacific, reaching 16 countries; and Eurosport News, a 24-hour news channel and online hub, providing an up-to-the-minute sports news feed available in 48 countries.
“With its successful track record of investing in quality content and building global brands, Discovery Communications is perfectly positioned to further expand and increase the value of Eurosport,” said Nonce Paolini, Chairman and CEO of TF1. “Eurosport’s vast sports platform coupled with Discovery’s extensive network portfolio will entertain and engage audiences and generate additional revenue streams for our business associates and distribution partners globally.”
Discovery was one of the first U.S. media companies to launch channels in Europe in 1989 and has invested steadily and significantly in its international business for 25 years. The combined reach of Discovery Communications, Eurosport and the 2013 acquisition of SBS Nordics, will be 2.7 billion cumulative subscribers across nearly 200 networks spanning more than 220 countries and territories worldwide.
- Colors Kannada launches ‘BIGG BOSS Kannada’ Season 8 86 views | posted on February 26, 2021
- The Walt Disney Company Asia Pacific announces leadership team 59 views | posted on March 1, 2021
- Flame Distribution to handle global sales of ‘Life in Colour With David Attenborough’ 54 views | posted on February 26, 2021
- Quintus Studios inks more factual acquisitions for its VOD channels 37 views | posted on February 26, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Director S.S. Vikneshwaran by Monina Eugenio | posted on December 28, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020