Hong Kong gov’t awards FTA licences to i-Cable and PCCW, excludes HKTV
Two new FTA television licences were awarded to i-Cable’s Fantastic TV and PCCW’s HK Television Entertainment Company. TheSouth China Morning Post reported that the stations are expected to start two new channels in a year after securing their licences.
The report added that a consultant’s report had shown HKTV, previously known as City Telecom, to be the weakest applicant, and that the licences were approved with no political considerations, but that this decision is against the Broadcasting Authority’s earlier recommendation that all three licences be granted.
According to the Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development Greg So Kam-leung, the Executive Council had considered “a basket of criteria” including programme planning, technical soundness, investment and public opinion, added the report.
The report also added that some industry experts said the decision to favour PCCW and i-Cable, established players in the pay television arena, was understandable.
- Flame bids farewell to its founder John Caldon 67 views | posted on February 22, 2021
- U-NEXT enters licensing partnership with ViacomCBS for a selection of new series from SHOWTIME® to premiere in Japan 60 views | posted on February 22, 2021
- Disney+ officially starts streaming in Singapore on 23 February 59 views | posted on February 24, 2021
- ‘Tales of Arcadia: 3Below’ premieres on DreamWorks on 1 March 57 views | posted on February 22, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Director S.S. Vikneshwaran by Monina Eugenio | posted on December 28, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020