Hong Kong gov’t awards FTA licences to i-Cable and PCCW, excludes HKTV
Two new FTA television licences were awarded to i-Cable’s Fantastic TV and PCCW’s HK Television Entertainment Company. TheSouth China Morning Post reported that the stations are expected to start two new channels in a year after securing their licences.
The report added that a consultant’s report had shown HKTV, previously known as City Telecom, to be the weakest applicant, and that the licences were approved with no political considerations, but that this decision is against the Broadcasting Authority’s earlier recommendation that all three licences be granted.
According to the Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development Greg So Kam-leung, the Executive Council had considered “a basket of criteria” including programme planning, technical soundness, investment and public opinion, added the report.
The report also added that some industry experts said the decision to favour PCCW and i-Cable, established players in the pay television arena, was understandable.
- Astro launches its new Ultra Plug & Play Box 247 views | posted on July 23, 2021
- ABS-CBN News online and ‘TV Patrol’ expand global news coverage with TFC News overseas segments 77 views | posted on July 22, 2021
- Voot Select brings the largest-ever direct-to-OTT Film Festival in India 77 views | posted on July 23, 2021
- BBC World News relaunches flagship programme ‘Newsday’ 68 views | posted on July 22, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The Asian Television Awards announces Facebook as official industry partner by TVA Editor | posted on May 11, 2021