The Australian has reported that pay-TV operator Foxtel has unveiled a new online platform with extensive movie content, competing with the free-to-air television sector over subscription VOD services similar to Netflix.
Presto customers will get a monthly pass for $24.99, with additional charges applying for pay-per view titles, and they can come and go with no lock-in contract, according to the report.
The service will be launched initially for PC and Mac computers and will be available on compatible iOS and Android tablets soon afterwards, added the report. The report also explained that viewers will be able to get on-demand access to all content from the seven live Foxtel Movies channels: Premiere, Comedy, Drama/ Romance, Thriller/Crime, Action/Adventure, Family and Masterpiece, including almost all of Australia’s most recent top 100 box office movies as well as a vault of older titles, the playlist regularly being updated.
“Our strategy is very much about creating a range of different products at different price points,” said Foxtel CEO Richard Freudenstein. “The core Foxtel cable and satellite service is always going to be our premium service. But we recognise that as internet delivery becomes more popular we need to be part of that as well.”
“Foxtel Play is a cutdown version of Foxtel, smaller packages at cheaper prices. But we also recognise there’s another segment who particularly like movies and so we can expand our customer base. It’s certainly more like a Netflix-type service, but different: a subscription service providing a lot of on-demand content.”
Freudenstein said Presto would not eat into Foxtel’s cable subscriber base, added the report. “It’s a very different service. It appeals to a very specific segment of movie lovers that don’t want any other channels,” he said.
- DreamWorks launches its brand-new virtual world, Dream Heroes 103 views | posted on June 15, 2021
- ZEE5 Global unveils its sixth Bangladeshi Original web series ‘Ladies & Gentlemen’ 47 views | posted on June 15, 2021
- AXN Asia launches its first-ever crime thriller podcast ‘Fey Hollow: The Fairy Tale Murders’ 44 views | posted on June 16, 2021
- K-drama lead actor Song Seon-Heon returns with a new investigative crime drama ‘Voice 4’ on tvN 39 views | posted on June 18, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- The Asian Television Awards announces Facebook as official industry partner by TVA Editor | posted on May 11, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020