CommunicAsia: SES on the feasibility of Ultra High Definition
With the advent of Ultra High Definition (UHD), questions have been raised about the imminent increase in bandwidth consumption. In a presentation at CommunicAsia, Deepak Mathur, Senior Vice President, Commercial, Asia Pacific and the Middle East at SES, explained how bandwidth efficiency can be improved by Highly Efficient Video Coding (HEVC). HEVC allows UHD to be transmitted at 20 Mbits/s, as compared to MPEG-2 coding, which requires more bandwidth at 80 Mbits/s.
SES’ satellite service, however, is only one piece in the ecosystem of UHD adoption, according to Mathur. The entire process will involve, firstly, the upgrade of television sets – today, a five-year cycle, secondly, the production, editing and delivering of content in the right format, and in addition to these, key global sporting events to drive purchase and adoption of the new technology, said Mathur.
- Meet the K-drama stars of the new series ‘Kairos’ on #TwitterBlueroom Live before its premiere 100 views | posted on October 23, 2020
- Netflix picks up Philippine adaptation of ‘Descendants of the Sun’ aired on GMA Network 62 views | posted on October 19, 2020
- BBC Studios, Bilibili sign new content sales and production agreement to bring the best of BBC to China 42 views | posted on October 19, 2020
- Netflix action-thriller ‘6 Underground’ becomes the first movie to receive a rebate for outsourcing its visual effects to Malaysia 39 views | posted on October 19, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020