Hong Kong – CASBAA’s annual India Forum, held on March 7 in New Delhi, attracted a host of government and industry professionals weighing in on the multichannel TV market in India.
“The timing for this year’s CASBAA India Forum 2013 could not have been better with the Phase II digitisation deadline looming at the end of the month,” said Christopher Slaughter, CEO, CASBAA.
During his opening keynote, Uday Kumar Varma, Secretary, Ministry of Information & Broadcasting, said they have achieved over 56 per cent digitisation on average in Phase II cities and that, between MSOs and DTH operators, 9 million set top boxes have been installed. He also noted – in relation to the recent increase in customs duties on STBs — that the government was keen on encouraging indigenous production of boxes so that India would not have to depend on countries like Korea and China and the boxes would be BIS compliant.
However, elsewhere during the Forum, Supriya Sahu, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Information & Broadcasting, noted the difficulties that still remain in the on-going digitisation process: “Our biggest challenge is how to convince different stakeholders to understand that their profit margins will decrease but only for a short while. It was difficult to get the different aggregators to sign the agreement last time, and it is happening this time as well. This was one of the reasons that deadline was extended during Phase I.”
- Tokyo Broadcasting System Television, Inc. licenses global streaming rights to ‘Ninja Warrior’, ‘Unbeatable Banzuk’ 321 views | posted on April 15, 2021
- Jiangsu Broadcasting Corp. brings China’s stories to the international stage 64 views | posted on April 17, 2021
- Viu launches Viu Shorts! Thailand 62 views | posted on April 19, 2021
- Barco partners with Ideal Systems to strengthen visualisation capabilities for broadcast in the region 43 views | posted on April 15, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020