Three-quarter of flat panel TVs sold in Vietnam is an LED
HO CHI MINH – LED TVs are readily being adopted and growing in prevalence in Vietnam. Rising awareness and technological sophistication of consumers in the developing market have been heightening demand for this TV type, which sold over 730,000 units in 2012, representing a 176 percent surge in volume sales compared to the previous year.
Findings from GfK retail audit showed the LED TV segment in Vietnam commencing the year with less than 20 percent volume share of the overall TV market in January, and had consistently trended upwards in subsequent months to reach 66 percent by year end. This reflects an annual average of 37 percent in 2012—a substantial increment from the previous year’s 11 percent.
“GfK reporting depicted some decline in general TV sales last year due largely to slower economic growth which led to more cautious
spending by consumers in the country,” highlighted Van Tran Khoa, Managing Director of GfK Vietnam. “However, when we zoom into specific segments, LED TVs outperformed basic LCD, plasma and CRT TVs and was the only segment which managed to achieve exponential spike in sales.”
One of the key reasons for buyers choosing this more advanced TV technology is its lowering prices which makes it increasingly affordable. The average LED TV price in 2012 dropped significantly by over a third of what it used to be in 2011—from USD805 to USD513. Basic LCD also registered price erosion but to a lesser extent while plasma is the only segment which saw a marginal price increase. It is the most expensive segment currently due to the fact that only larger screen sizes of 42” and above are available.
- Winsing Animation spotlights its new IP at the ATF 53 views | posted on November 23, 2020
- AXN All-Stars reunites entertainment heavyweights in a heart-warming virtual collaborative performance 53 views | posted on November 27, 2020
- AVIA closes the year on a high note with its biggest turnout yet for the Asia Video Summit 43 views | posted on November 25, 2020
- iQIYI International expands global footprint with launch on Zeasn’s Whale Eco 41 views | posted on November 27, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020