BSkyB wins trademark battle against PCCW for “NOW TV” brand
UK’s BSkyB (Sky) has won a high court case against Hong Kong’s PCCW regarding its use of the name NOW TV for its new OTT service.
PCCW, which operates the pay-TV service now TV in Hong Kong, had filed a complaint against Sky in April this year about the use of three signs by the company to designate their internet television service: first, the sign “NOW TV”; second, the sign “NOWTV.com”; and third, the following logo:
PCCW claimed that the use of that name infringes Community Trade Mark No. 4504891 (the CTM) and amounts to passing off. Counsel for PCCW also submitted that there was some indirect evidence of confusion. Sky denied infringement and counterclaim for a declaration that the CTM is invalid.
The Honourable Mr. Justice Arnold, who presided over the case, found that there had been no evidence of any actual confusion to date. He wrote in his ruling:
- Nippon TV’s award-winning drama series ‘Mother’ Thai version wins Best Script Writing at the 25th Asian Television Awards 129 views | posted on January 18, 2021
- Period drama ‘Last Madame’ named Best Digital Fiction Series at the 25th Asian Television Awards 114 views | posted on January 18, 2021
- Anchor-turned-actor Ivan Tai cast in RTM miniseries ‘A.I in Love’ with Janna Nick and Dini Shcatzmann 101 views | posted on January 18, 2021
- ‘The Witch of Kings Cross’ to be released worldwide on Amazon, iTunes, Vimeo, and GooglePlay on 9 February 77 views | posted on January 18, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Director S.S. Vikneshwaran by Monina Eugenio | posted on December 28, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020