According to todayonline.com, StarHub plans to re-negotiate for the rights to broadcast the English Premier League (EPL), now known as Barclay’s Premier League, as a way to maintain its competitive edge.
The report quoted Chief Executive Neil Montefiore as saying, “When we took the Euro Cup on an exclusive basis, we priced it around S$60-S$70 depending on when you bought it. Generally, the feedback was that was too much, so I think we’d have to price significantly below that on a monthly basis. So somewhere between S$25 and S$35 I would think would be the pricing we’d want to offer customers.”
Inclusive of EPL matches, SingTel currently charges S$34.90 for its sports package. They recently secured non-exclusive rights to broadcast EPL matches for another three seasons starting next year. This has left the door open for StarHub to try to negotiate its own deal.
If the deal is signed, StarHub customers might have to pay S$25-S$35 a month to watch the matches. However, the company has so far been unable to start talks with the rights holders. “The EPL is still in an ‘exclusive negotiating period’ with SingTel,” said Montefiore.
- Tokyo Broadcasting System Television, Inc. licenses global streaming rights to ‘Ninja Warrior’, ‘Unbeatable Banzuk’ 321 views | posted on April 15, 2021
- Jiangsu Broadcasting Corp. brings China’s stories to the international stage 64 views | posted on April 17, 2021
- Viu launches Viu Shorts! Thailand 62 views | posted on April 19, 2021
- Barco partners with Ideal Systems to strengthen visualisation capabilities for broadcast in the region 43 views | posted on April 15, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020