TV of the Future
What if you were watching the finale of X-factor LIVE and wanted to know the buzz of the town and what was trending? You would take out your phone, scroll through the pages, find the Twitter app and view the live feeds, trying to keep an eye on the TV at the same time.
All this hassle can potentially be eliminated by NDS’s innovative TV, which was one of the products we were introduced to at the NDS product showcase.
As we walked into the dimly-lit, wallpapered room, we saw an iPad on some sofas facing the wall – but for a second, there was no sight of a television.
Camouflaged to blend in with the wallpaper was a screen that occupied almost the entire wall – NDS’s TV of the Future. Picking up the iPad thrust several possibilities into our hands, and with a tap of an icon, we could take control of what appeared on the screen, what size the images were, how loud it was, and even how dim the lights were, to name a few. As X-factor continued its transmission, Twitter feeds, ratings and other related information appeared on the vast screen – around the main picture rather than over it as in traditional TV. We could recall or dismiss subtitles, banners, guides and social feeds according to our preference. Interactive applications such as voting for contestants and predicting judges’ reactions could be done with a flick of a finger as well.
As the demonstration progressed, we were shown the possibilities for a more compelling and varied television, with the possibility of different content being viewed concurrently. We were left with no doubts about wanting such a TV when it rolls out.
Internet TV and Over -the-Top Interactive Solutions
Imagine holding your laptop or iPad in your hands as you watch a movie, frantically searching for the rating and synopsis of the show as it starts playing. With the NDS service delivery platform (SDP), TV operators and broadcasters can expand beyond the traditional platform and onto companion and connected devices such as mobiles and tablets to bring viewers a more convenient experience.
We were shown how applications developed through standardised application programming interfaces – compatible with all device software development of third party applications – can allow consumers to gather additional online content and contextual services, and even integrate social networking. As Jonathan Beavon, Vice President, Marketing, NDS changed channels from Disney to HBO, the YouTube page on the iPad automatically started to search for all relevant videos.
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One 1.2k views | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced 474 views | posted on January 17, 2021
- Nippon TV’s award-winning drama series ‘Mother’ Thai version wins Best Script Writing at the 25th Asian Television Awards 79 views | posted on January 18, 2021
- Bilibili presents China’s first virtual idol musical fantasy film ‘Vox Ultima’ 78 views | posted on January 15, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Director S.S. Vikneshwaran by Monina Eugenio | posted on December 28, 2020
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Producer Alan Eucharis Choo by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 11, 2021