ITV Studios and BBC Studios India ink deal to create premium dramas
BBC Studios India will bring to life the popular ITV Studios hits Gold Digger, Sticks and Stones, Trauma and 35 Days. The deal is the first of its kind and will allow both entities to scale greater heights and reach wider audiences in India with their rich slate of premium dramas. BBC Studios will also look at taking these dramas to the ever-growing popular regional markets of Tamil and Telugu.
Augustus Dulgaro, Executive Vice President – Distribution, Asia Pacific at ITV Studios, said: “Working with BBC Studios India will only strengthen what we can both achieve in the region. These are really powerful stories, full of themes that matter to all of us – betrayal, love, family intrigue and loss. I’m very much looking forward to seeing our IP repurposed for South Asian audiences.”
Giles Ridge, SVP of Scripted Formats at ITV Studios said: “We have carefully curated the portfolio and believe there is real scope to find the right talent and partners to bring proven hits to a fresh fanbase. There is a real demand for this type of material, not just in India but in Indian-speaking communities around the world.”
Sameer Gogate, General Manager of BBC Studios India Productions, said: “British dramas really resonate with Indian audiences, as we have seen with the success of Criminal Justice and Doctor Foster and will see with these ITV Studios dramas, which have all the twists and turns of a gripping story that you could hope for. I am looking forward to reproducing them for the Indian market and developing a deeper relationship with our British TV counterparts, with our shared mission to take exceptional premium content to the rest of the world.”
Gold Digger – the story focuses on a wealthy woman who falls in love with a much younger man and the impact this has on her already damaged family. Produced by Mainstreet Pictures, part of ITV Studios, for BBC One (2019).
Sticks and Stones – a drama about the dark consequences of workplace bullying, written by Mike Bartlett, who also created Doctor Foster. Produced by Tall Story Pictures, part of ITV Studios for ITV (2019)
Trauma – also created and written by Mike Bartlett, this thriller is about a father grappling with losing his son and blaming the hospital trauma consultant. Produced by Tall Story Pictures, part of ITV Studios, for ITV (2017).
35 Days – unravelling the 35 days leading up to a death and who could potentially be responsible for it. There have been five series of this Welsh drama, produced by Boom Cymru, part of ITV Studios, for S4C (first series 2014). Boom also produced a successful English language adaptation, 15 Days, for UK broadcaster Channel 5.
BBC Studios India has a track record of outstanding drama production, which includes Criminal Justice, Out of Love (Doctor Foster) and forthcoming shows like Luther.
ITV Studios represents a rich catalogue of iconic scripted programming from producers within the ITV Studios group, 55 production labels across 13 countries, as well as selected independents. ITV Studios have already adapted some of their hit dramas for new audiences, including Cold Feet which was recently remade in France, Poland and The Czech Republic.
ITV plc and BBC Studios have an established relationship and a shared ambition to take British content to the world, via their joint venture streaming platform BritBox, which is available internationally in the US, Canada and Australia with South Africa soon to launch.
- DreamWorks launches its brand-new virtual world, Dream Heroes 103 views | posted on June 15, 2021
- ZEE5 Global unveils its sixth Bangladeshi Original web series ‘Ladies & Gentlemen’ 47 views | posted on June 15, 2021
- AXN Asia launches its first-ever crime thriller podcast ‘Fey Hollow: The Fairy Tale Murders’ 44 views | posted on June 16, 2021
- K-drama lead actor Song Seon-Heon returns with a new investigative crime drama ‘Voice 4’ on tvN 39 views | posted on June 18, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- The Asian Television Awards announces Facebook as official industry partner by TVA Editor | posted on May 11, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020