iQiyi International’s first original K-drama series ‘My Roommate Is A Gumiho’ to premiere on 26 May
After the love between Jun Ji-hyun and the alien Kim Soo Hyun in My Love from the Star took Asia by the storm, the Korean legendary creature “Gumiho” (Nine-tailed fox) falls in love with a girl 977 years younger than him in iQiyi’s first K-drama series My Roommate Is a Gumiho! Adapted from the 9.9 score popular Korean webtoon, the upcoming series features Jang Ki-yong that perfectly embodies the character. After her appetite creates a big trouble, is marriage the only solution for Lee Hye-ri? The star-studded cast, including Kang Han-na, Kim Do-wan, and Bae In-hyuk, will offer you a romantic summer. iQiyi International’s first original K-drama series, My Roommate Is a Gumiho, will premiere Wednesday May 26 at 21:30 SGT with new episodes Wednesdays and Thursdays simulcast with Korea – the same day, the same time!
My Roommate Is a Gumiho, an original K-drama series adapted from the 9.99 score popular Korean webtoon, stars Jang Ki-yong, who debuted in IU’s music videos, and Lee Hye-ri (Reply 1988). The series tells the story of a “Gumiho” (Nine-tailed fox) Shin Woo-yeo that has lived in the human world for hundreds of years. Right before he can permanently turn into a human, his fox beads are swallowed by Lee Dam in an accident. Forced to live together for a solution, they set many rules for cohabitation to live their lives. It becomes a new romance between human and non-human.
In private, Lee Hye-ri is as straightforward as the character Lee Dam, and enjoys food as much as she wants. However, her appetite ultimately brings her troubles, even forced marriage. Lee recently did a photoshoot with Jang Ki-yong for a magazine. With great chemistry in photos, many fans are worried that Lee’s real boyfriend Ryu Jun-yeol will be envious, and look forward to their romance in the series. After My Love from the Star years ago, this will be the most groundbreaking romance comedy spreading across Asia.
What’s a “Gumiho” (Nine-tailed fox): The term “Gumiho” means “Nine-tailed fox” in Korean and has long been a legendary figure in Korea. It appears in historical records in Samguk sagi and Samguk yusa during the Goryeo period (918-1392). Over the years, many television series have included this creature. Legends say that nine-tailed foxes transform into humans to seduce married men, so this character has always been played by actresses until Lee Dong-wook in Tale of the Nine Tailed. As Jang Ki-yong interprets this creature in a comedy, it will once again overturn some stereotypes.
In the story, Yang Hye-sun (played by Kang Han-na) is another nine-tailed fox who has transformed into a human five years ago. This character is 200 years younger than Shin Woo-yeo, and is hurt emotionally by past experiences. While Kang often portrays aggressive and fierce career women in the past, she will need to decide whether to embrace true love. Kim Do-wan has delivered impressive performances over the past five years. His role, Do Jae-jin, is a good friend of Lee Dam, and always gets lost in love. Starting his career in web series, Bae In-hyuk plays Gye Sun-woo, a handsome and wealthy man that has a crush on Lee Dam after pretending to like her in the first place.
iQiyi International’s first original K-drama series, My Roommate Is a Gumiho, will premiere Wednesday, May 26 at 21:30 SGT with new episodes Wednesdays and Thursdays simulcast with Korea – the same day, the same time!
- Toonz Media Group joins forces with Ferly for ‘Kingdom of None’ 67 views | posted on June 8, 2021
- Han Ji-hyun stars in the popular k-drama ‘The Penthouse 3: War in Life’ 63 views | posted on June 7, 2021
- Firstlight Media names Jim Vinh to lead Asia-Pacific sales 61 views | posted on June 7, 2021
- NBC Olympics selects its audio consoles provider for production of Olympic Games in Tokyo 52 views | posted on June 7, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- The Asian Television Awards announces Facebook as official industry partner by TVA Editor | posted on May 11, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020