Disney scales back operations in Southeast Asia and Hong Kong; Expands Disney+ in the region
The Walt Disney Company announced that it is consolidating its media networks business in Southeast Asia and Hong Kong, effective 1 October 2021.
In a statement, The Walt Disney Company said that Disney will continue to operate in a streamlined television portfolio that covers Chinese language channels such as Star Chinese Channel and Star Chinese Movies; as well as Factual Entertainment like National Geographic Channel and Nat Geo Wild.
Axed channels include Fox, Fox Crime, Fox Life and FX; movie channels such as Fox Action Movies, Fox Family Movies, and Star Movies China; Fox Movies; sports channel Fox Sports, Fox Sports 2, Fox Sports 3, Star Sports 1, Star Sport 2; kids channels Disney Channel and Disney Junior; and non-scripted channels Nat Geo People and SCM Legend.
Disney’s scaled back operations will allow the company to pivot towards a direct-to-consumer-first model, and will help them align its resources more efficiently and effectively to current and future business needs.
Meanwhile, The Walt Disney Company stated that Disney+ has seen swift adoption and surpassed 100 million global paid subscribers. Available in 59 markets around the world, Disney+ recently launched in Southeast Asian markets such as Singapore and Indonesia and will continue to roll out in more markets in the regions including Hong Kong this year.
The Walt Disney Company said that Disney will continue to have a strong media and entertainment business in the Southeast Asian region that includes its direct-to-consumer business, studio entertainment, consumer products, games and publishing business, serving consumers and partners alike in the region.
- The Q bolsters its original content offering; Announces first TV original ‘Crime Aur Kanoon’ 179 views | posted on July 20, 2021
- Astro launches its new Ultra Plug & Play Box 166 views | posted on July 23, 2021
- iQiyi reveals brand-new Chinese language drama slate 140 views | posted on July 21, 2021
- Asia’s e-sports broadcasters unlock an exciting world of gameplay 104 views | posted on July 20, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The Asian Television Awards announces Facebook as official industry partner by TVA Editor | posted on May 11, 2021