Disney scales back operations in Southeast Asia and Hong Kong; Expands Disney+ in the region
The Walt Disney Company announced that it is consolidating its media networks business in Southeast Asia and Hong Kong, effective 1 October 2021.
In a statement, The Walt Disney Company said that Disney will continue to operate in a streamlined television portfolio that covers Chinese language channels such as Star Chinese Channel and Star Chinese Movies; as well as Factual Entertainment like National Geographic Channel and Nat Geo Wild.
Axed channels include Fox, Fox Crime, Fox Life and FX; movie channels such as Fox Action Movies, Fox Family Movies, and Star Movies China; Fox Movies; sports channel Fox Sports, Fox Sports 2, Fox Sports 3, Star Sports 1, Star Sport 2; kids channels Disney Channel and Disney Junior; and non-scripted channels Nat Geo People and SCM Legend.
Disney’s scaled back operations will allow the company to pivot towards a direct-to-consumer-first model, and will help them align its resources more efficiently and effectively to current and future business needs.
Meanwhile, The Walt Disney Company stated that Disney+ has seen swift adoption and surpassed 100 million global paid subscribers. Available in 59 markets around the world, Disney+ recently launched in Southeast Asian markets such as Singapore and Indonesia and will continue to roll out in more markets in the regions including Hong Kong this year.
The Walt Disney Company said that Disney will continue to have a strong media and entertainment business in the Southeast Asian region that includes its direct-to-consumer business, studio entertainment, consumer products, games and publishing business, serving consumers and partners alike in the region.
- ViacomCBS consumer products bolster Asia team with new hires 60 views | posted on May 7, 2021
- Disney+ Hotstar set to launch in Malaysia on 1 June 48 views | posted on May 4, 2021
- TFC tops Comscore’s TV viewing engagement for Filipino networks in multicultural Asian households in the US in March 2021 45 views | posted on May 4, 2021
- Tencent’s WeTV now available on Zeasn’s Whale Eco 34 views | posted on May 7, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020