Netflix and VRT order ‘Diamonds’ from Keshet International and De Mensen
Netflix and VRT, Belgium’s public-service broadcaster for the Flemish community, are partnering to commission Diamonds, an eight-part crime drama set in the heart of the world’s largest diamond district.
Co-created by Yuval Yefet (Fauda, Line in the Sand) and Rotem Shamir (Hostages, Fauda, Line in the Sand), Diamonds will be co-produced by Keshet International (KI) and De Mensen, Belgium’s leading production company. The story of a proud, centuries-old world fighting for survival within a new, rapidly changing reality, Diamonds is set within Antwerp’s influential diamond-dealing district and centres on the traditional ultra-orthodox Jewish community operating there – now weakened, divided and dethroned.
The 8×50’ crime drama follows the struggles and strife of one of Antwerp’s most influential diamond-dealing families, The Wagners. When their youngest son commits suicide, his long-estranged brother Noah returns to take charge of the family business, using methods that are anything but orthodox in a desperate bid to save himself and his family.
A multi-language drama to be shot in Dutch, English and Yiddish, Diamonds has been commissioned by Netflix alongside VRT’s Head of Scripted, Wim Janssen, and is supported by Screen Flanders. Filming is slated to begin later this summer for a 2022 premiere on both Netflix and VRT.
Featuring mafia-style undertones, Diamonds will be executive produced by De Mensen’s Head of Scripted Pieter Van Huyck and Ivy Vanhaecke (Undercover, Beau Séjour S2) alongside KI’s VP of Global Drama Atar Dekel, KI’s Alon Shtruzman and Keshet Media Group’s Avi Nir. Rotem Shamir – one half of the creative partnership behind Keshet 12’s new hit crime drama Line in the Sand – directs.
This co-production is in line with Kl’s on-going commitment to building creative cross-border partnerships designed to pair off-screen talent with its vast network of producers. A key aim is to exploit projects rich in international potential and simultaneously to bolster De Mensen’s ambitions to strengthen its international development as well as the vast appeal of its successful Flemish productions.
- Tokyo Broadcasting System Television, Inc. licenses global streaming rights to ‘Ninja Warrior’, ‘Unbeatable Banzuk’ 303 views | posted on April 15, 2021
- BBC Studios licenses the scripted format ‘Doctor Foster’ to ABS-CBN 41 views | posted on April 13, 2021
- Jiangsu Broadcasting Corp. brings China’s stories to the international stage 40 views | posted on April 17, 2021
- Barco partners with Ideal Systems to strengthen visualisation capabilities for broadcast in the region 35 views | posted on April 15, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020