Spackman Entertainment Group’s ‘#ALIVE’ the number one Asian film on Netflix U.S. in 2020
Spackman Entertainment Group Limited (“Spackman Entertainment Group” or the “Company” and together with its subsidiaries, the “Group”), one of Korea’s leading entertainment production groups, wishes to announce that #ALIVE, produced by the Company’s indirect wholly-owned subsidiary, Zip Cinema Co., Ltd. (“Zip Cinema”), achieved the top position as the most-watched Asian film on Netflix in the U.S. for the year 2020.
According to The Wall Street Journal, #ALIVE ranked 4th out of the top 10 most-watched foreign movies on Netflix in the United States in 2020, making it the highest-ranking among Asian films.
Following its theatrical run in Korea in September 2020, #ALIVE took the first position on the global chart of TOP Movies on Netflix in the World on September 10. #ALIVE was previously ranked #1 in 35 countries around the world based on viewership in Singapore, Thailand, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, Australia, Russia, India, France, the United States, etc., during the same month of its release on Netflix. The film premiered internationally on Netflix on 8 September 2020.
Starring top leading actor Yoo Ah-in of UAA&CO Inc., a subsidiary of the Group’s associated company Spackman Media Group Limited (“Spackman Media Group”), and superstar actress Park Shin-hye, #ALIVE previously crossed the 1 million ticket sales within five days of its theatrical release and maintained its #1 position at the Korean box office for three consecutive weeks.
In Korea, #ALIVE achieved the top ranking in VOD sales since the first day of its post-theatrical release on 28 July 2020 in Korea, taking the #1 position at top IPTV channels including KT’s Olleh TV and Digital Cable TV Home Choice, as of 4 August 2020.
#ALIVE is based on an original scenario by Hollywood writer Matt Taylor, who produced the American documentary series, SMALL BUSINESS REVOLUTION: MAIN STREET.
The film relates the story of isolated survivors of a city under lockdown that gets out of control as a consequence of a sudden spread of an unknown infection. UAA’s Yoo Ah-in of DEFAULT (2018), BURNING (2018) & VETERAN (2015) shall play the role of Joon Woon, a gamer who survived by himself and becomes disconnected from the rest of the world. Park Shin-hye of MEMORIES OF THE ALHAMBRA (2018), THE DOCTORS (2016) & THE HEIRS (2013) takes on the role of Yoo Bin, another survivor who relies on her own survival skills throughout the extremely challenging situation in the city.
The film is distributed by Lotte Entertainment and directed by Jo II Hyung.
Following #ALIVE, Zip Cinema’s next major, with the working title, BROKER, to be headlined by leading Korean actors Song Kang-ho, Gang Dong-won and Bae Doona and directed by celebrated Japanese film director, Kore-eda Hirozaku, is scheduled to commence filming this year.
With BROKER, Zip Cinema is aiming to produce its fourth consecutive commercially successful film, after the release of #ALIVE (2020), CRAZY ROMANCE (2019), and DEFAULT (2018).
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One 1.1k views | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced 397 views | posted on January 17, 2021
- Bilibili presents China’s first virtual idol musical fantasy film ‘Vox Ultima’ 67 views | posted on January 15, 2021
- Nippon TV’s award-winning drama series ‘Mother’ Thai version wins Best Script Writing at the 25th Asian Television Awards 38 views | posted on January 18, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Director S.S. Vikneshwaran by Monina Eugenio | posted on December 28, 2020
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Producer Alan Eucharis Choo by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 11, 2021