South Korean OTT service Watcha acquires hit series from STUDIOCANAL
STUDIOCANAL, Europe’s leader in production, distribution, and international sales of TV series and feature films has sold a package of high-end, mixed language dramas to South Korea’s growing streaming service WATCHA ahead of the Asia TV Market and Forum (ATF).
The deal, which was brokered by Sarah Mottershead, Senior Sales Manager at STUDIOCANAL, includes two major Canal+ Creation Originale series, Possessions and War of the Worlds.
Now established as a key Asian partner with STUDIOCANAL, WATCHA has previously also licensed critically-acclaimed Russell T. Davies’ drama Years and Years which premiered in South Korea earlier this year. The award-winning series, starring Academy Award winner Emma Thompson (Saving Mr. Banks), became the first series to launch their new “Watcha Exclusive” brand for flagship dramas in the territory.
From the director of the hit series Bodyguard, Possessions is a new major psychological thriller co-produced for Canal+ France and Yes Israel. The series stars Nadia Tereszkiewicz, who won Best Actress at the Tokyo International Film Festival in 2019 and has most recently been acquired by HBO Max which will launch on its streaming service across the USA in December 2020. War of the Worlds, which has been picked up by many international platforms and broadcasters, has a second series currently in production and will be returning to screens in 2021. Produced by award-winning production company Urban Myth Films, War of the Worlds star Gabriel Byrne (The Usual Suspects) and Daisy Edgar Jones (Normal People), who was recently the recipient of the Rising Star Award at CANNESERIES.
Beatriz Campos, SVP Global Sales and Production Financing, TV Series at STUDIOCANAL comments, “We are extremely pleased to be further strengthening our relationship with WATCHA through this significant sales package. We are sure that WATCHA’s growing viewership will become firmly engaged with this line-up of top-level drama series created by, and starring, leading talent from around the world.”
WATCHA CEO and Co-founder Taehoon Park adds, “We are more than happy to introduce STUDIOCANAL’s high-quality content on WATCHA. Years and Years is one of our much-loved TV series delivering a strong viewership. Based on our partnership with STUDIOCANAL, we hope to provide a variety of well-made content to our Korean users.”
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One 1.1k views | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced 404 views | posted on January 17, 2021
- Bilibili presents China’s first virtual idol musical fantasy film ‘Vox Ultima’ 68 views | posted on January 15, 2021
- Nippon TV’s award-winning drama series ‘Mother’ Thai version wins Best Script Writing at the 25th Asian Television Awards 41 views | posted on January 18, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Director S.S. Vikneshwaran by Monina Eugenio | posted on December 28, 2020
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Producer Alan Eucharis Choo by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 11, 2021