Blackbox Multimedia, Eo Media, and Leader Produzioni to adapt Luis Sepúlveda’s ‘Diary of a Sentimental Killer’
International production company BlackBox Multimedia has partnered with Italian production company Leader Produzioni and LatAm’s EO Media Distribution for the TV series adaptation of Luis Sepúlveda’s globally recognised novel Diary of a Sentimental Killer.
Diary of a Sentimental Killer is an atmospheric noir packed with action and dark humour. The story follows an unnamed assassin who has been left by his lover the day before he is set to embark on a crucial assignment.
As the narrative unfolds, the unknown assassin fights against the feelings of his broken heart to maintain the level of professionalism contract killing requires. Yet, as he becomes more emotionally unstable, the antagonist grows increasingly fascinated by the mysterious target he is supposed to kill.
Sepúlveda’s texts have been translated into more than 40 languages, having sold over 6 million copies worldwide, with several film and theatre adaptations. Diary of a Sentimental Killer – the seriesis the first adaptation of his work after the bestselling author’s death from coronavirus in April 2020.
Giuliano Papadia, CEO of BlackBox Multimedia says, “Sepúlveda’s Diary of Sentimental Killer is one of those rare books which blends humour with the darker side of the human psyche. The killer is a middle-aged man on the eve of his retirement … a man from another time, who observes the world around him changing, striving and struggling to hold onto a reality that is slipping away from him. The book is an ironic ode to the noir genre, and with our partners, we are keen to celebrate Sepúlveda’s unique voice and create a global, high-end television classic that will build a bridge between Europe and Latin America.”
Ezequiel Olzanski, CEO of EO Media Distribution adds: “It is a big honor to have the chance to celebrate such talented, globally recognized author like Luis Sepulveda, and having the opportunity to do it bringing a story of such class to the international screens, makes it even a bigger privilege.
Diary of a Sentimental Killer impacted us from the very first moment, bringing back the classicism of the first James Bond, that of a Humphrey Bogart, to a modern world where rules have changed, and our Killer suddenly struggles to survive.
The opportunity to partner up, uniting visions and efforts between first-class companies and talent from Europe and Latam, is an amazing invitation for us to create a top-level international series to be remembered.”
Cristina Zucchiatti Monteverde, Producer at Leader Produzioni says,“Diary of a Sentimental Killer is a sophisticated and finely tuned noir, undercut by an ironic and cynical worldview for its genre. To find something comparable, we would have to turn to the world of graphic novels – in particular, Frank Miller’s Sin City. Both contain similar pop and pulp elements that lend themselves perfectly to an on-screen adaptation, as echoed by the success of Robert Rodriguez’s film adaption of Sin City. Taking a perfectly devised novel like Diary of a Sentimental Killer and sharing it with millions of viewers without betraying its original spirit is a great responsibility, but it is also an honour and a privilege. We are very happy to be able to make this happen with BlackBox and EO.”
- Banijay Rights new sales structure in LATAM, Canada, and German-speaking territories 37 views | posted on January 25, 2021
- Firstlight Media teams with Google Cloud to deliver next-gen OTT 35 views | posted on January 21, 2021
- A+E Networks® continues commitment to women in front of and behind the camera with ‘Women in Global Entertainment (WGE): Power Profile’ at virtual NATPE 2021 34 views | posted on January 22, 2021
- Rising Asia keeps the region prolific with diverse content 33 views | posted on January 22, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- 25th Asian Television Awards spotlight: ATA Director S.S. Vikneshwaran by Monina Eugenio | posted on December 28, 2020
- The 25th Asian Television Awards receives nominations from across the Asia Pacific by TVA Editor | posted on December 16, 2020