StudioCanal hires Sarah Doole to lead and expand its RED Production Company
StudioCanal, Europe’s leader in production, distribution, and international sales of TV series and feature films, announced the appointment of former Fremantle alum Sarah Doole to the role of CEO at RED Production Company.
Doole, a highly regarded industry figure, takes over the role of Nicola Shindler. Doole joins the RED/StudioCanal business on 5 October 2020 based in Manchester. As CEO, Doole will oversee RED’s development and production slate in the UK and work with StudioCanal’s management team to drive the company’s UK and international growth strategy. Doole will also be tasked with expanding RED’s roster of creative talent to deliver new projects as well as fostering further collaboration within the StudioCanal group.
Anna Marsh, CEO of StudioCanal, comments: “We are delighted to welcome Sarah as she takes the helm at RED Production Company, one of the leading producers in the UK. Her creative drive and exceptional scripted experience make her the perfect choice for this significant role. We have big ambitions for RED and we know Sarah will help the company step up to the next level to become an even stronger international player.”
Sarah Doole says: “I’m delighted to be joining RED which has a second-to-none portfolio of drama productions. As a proud Northerner I am extremely keen to protect RED’s strong heritage. I’m so looking forward to working with the RED team and, with the support of StudioCanal, to creating a wide range of new, diverse, and inclusive storytelling to sit under the big RED umbrella.”
Marsh adds: “I would like to take this opportunity to thank Nicola Shindler for her outstanding contribution to RED Production and our business.”
Doole joins RED from Fremantle, where she had been Director of Global Drama since 2013. She is widely credited for revitalising the super indie’s scripted credentials by attracting top writing and production talent to the business, while developing and delivering a dynamic drama portfolio that won both critical and commercial acclaim. During her tenure, Doole oversaw a portfolio of high-end international scripted projects which include the Deutschland trilogy, The Young Pope, My Brilliant Friend, Beecham House, Picnic at Hanging Rock, and The Salisbury Poisonings.
Prior to Fremantle, Doole was Creative Director of Drama and Head of Indie Drama at BBC Worldwide, where her roster of award-winning shows included Sherlock, Gavin & Stacey, Call the Midwife, Misfits, and Life on Mars among others.
She began her career at Yorkshire Television, working on a slate of critically-acclaimed documentaries, peak-time entertainment series, and kids programming, including Yorkshire Television’s first youth series Intoview, and groundbreaking documentaries such as China Rising and Red Empire.
In August, Doole announced the launch of Sow the Seed, a unique incubator company focusing on new talent and under-represented voices, bringing inventive production methods and the very best international storytelling to market across drama, comedy, entertainment, and documentaries, through TV, podcast, audio music, literature and art and fashion. She is currently in advanced talks with RED’s owner to bring the new company into the StudioCanal fold to be an incubation hub for diverse voices across Europe.
- Abacus Media Rights secures international distribution rights for ‘The Masked Dancer UK’ 104 views | posted on May 17, 2021
- Differentiating the sports OTT experience 103 views | posted on May 14, 2021
- Asian independent short films now accessible worldwide with ZEASN and Viddsee team up 103 views | posted on May 17, 2021
- Social entertainment platform GazeTV breaks the tradition with blockchain, tokenized ecosystem for audiences and video creators 68 views | posted on May 17, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The Asian Television Awards announces Facebook as official industry partner by TVA Editor | posted on May 11, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020