BBC Studios announces deal with Discovery Inc. for ‘Top Gear’ catalogue in Japan
The world’s biggest motoring show just got even bigger, as Top Gear fans in Japan can look forward to the show hitting their screens with Discovery. BBC Studios and Discovery Inc. have announced a comprehensive agreement across Japan for Top Gear’s extensive catalogue of episodes, to cater to a broad base of automotive and factual entertainment enthusiasts. The deal sees Seasons 2-28 of Top Gear airing on Discovery’s premium video streaming service in Japan, Dplay.
Car fanatics will be able to enjoy classic seasons of the show with road trips, stunts, track tests, quirky challenges, and the ever-popular segment – the Star in a Reasonably-Priced Car. Viewers will also have the opportunity to catch Top Gear’s new blood, as the next generation of presenters – including former international cricketer Freddie Flintoff, comedian Paddy McGuinness, and racing driver Chris Harris – help inject new energy into the show from series 27.
Geo Lee, Senior Vice President and General Manager, BBC Studios North East Asia, said on the agreement, “The Top Gear deal with Discovery in Japan is great news for long-time motor fans of all ages and walks of life, as they can now enjoy even broader access to the most premium automobile content. At the same time, we hope to reach even more audiences who are new to the show and tune them into the Top Gear brand of comedy and adrenaline.”
“This is the next step in our partnership with BBC Studios in Japan, a leading market in Asia,” says David Macdonald, General Manager, Japan, Discovery Inc. “For over 20 years now, Discovery has been committed to giving audiences the very best in factual entertainment, and Top Gear fits seamlessly into our video-on-demand push. We’re proud to expand this collaboration in Japan with one of the world’s most beloved motoring franchise and BBC Studios, who share our commitment to innovation in factual television.”
A BBC Studios mainstay since 2002, Top Gear is beloved for its unconventional, experiential, and comedic-based approach to the traditionally-technical car review. As a result, the show has received widespread critical and commercial acclaim, winning an International Emmy for Non-Scripted Entertainment in 2005, and Most Popular Factual Programme at the UK’s National Television Awards for the years 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2011. The show was also voted best programme of the decade by UK viewers in the Greatest TV Shows of the Noughties poll, commissioned by Channel 4. Top Gear has since gained a massive global following and has been broadcast and spun-off in over 200 territories to date. Elsewhere in Asia, Top Gear is exclusively available on the BBC Brit channel, hosted on the BBC Player streaming app in Singapore and Malaysia. Meanwhile, for India, episodes from Seasons 18-22, as well as 27, will first be available on the Discovery+ India platform.
- Abacus Media Rights secures international distribution rights for ‘The Masked Dancer UK’ 104 views | posted on May 17, 2021
- Differentiating the sports OTT experience 103 views | posted on May 14, 2021
- Asian independent short films now accessible worldwide with ZEASN and Viddsee team up 103 views | posted on May 17, 2021
- Social entertainment platform GazeTV breaks the tradition with blockchain, tokenized ecosystem for audiences and video creators 68 views | posted on May 17, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The Asian Television Awards announces Facebook as official industry partner by TVA Editor | posted on May 11, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020