Multiple-award winning Thai film ‘Bad Genius’ has been turned into a 12-part series on Dimsum Entertainment’s platform
Bad Genius, the highest-grossing Thai film of 2017, is coming back as a spin-off drama. Bad Genius: The Series consists of 12 episodes of nerve-wracking suspense and exam cheating.
Inspired by true events, the film received positive reception from millions of viewers from the Asia Pacific region in 2017 and has garnered multiple awards and nominations from various film festivals and awards such as Asia Pacific Film Festival 2018 (APFF) and ASEAN Film Festival and Awards 2018. Among the awards won in APFF are Best Editing and Best New Actress, while a Special Jury Award for the latter.
Bad Genius: The Series continues to focus on Lin, a genius high school student who makes money by helping others to cheat on tests, receives a new task that leads her to set foot in Sydney, Australia.
In order to complete the millions-Baht task, Lin and Bank (another prodigy in financial tragedy), have to finish the international STIC (fictionalised version of SAT) exam and deliver the answers back to their friends, Grace and Pat, in Thailand before the exam takes place once again in their home country.
Aside from seamless and perfect acting by the cast, the background music, and fast-paced editing has also impacted the audience tremendously by creating continuous nervous and suspense feelings throughout the movie.
Bad Genius: The Series, will be produced by the same team behind the youth sports series, Project S: The Series (also available on Dimsum Entertainment), that will star with a brand-new cast with equally powerful acting performance.
Directed by Pat Boonitipat – whose previous works include other Thai youth series, documentaries and films – the series will resonate the same theme and plot as well as highlighting more on the conflicts and relationship between the quartet (Lin, Bank, Grace, and Pat) and the people around them: family and clients. The series will also introduce some other new characters that will add more spice to the already hot storyline.
The main lead, Lin, will be starred by June Plearnpichaya – a member of the all-girl Thai idol group, BNK48. While the good turned evil Bank will be played by Jaonaay Wattanasin – a pop singer who will be debuting his acting career through this series. The sweetheart duo, the rich and demanding Pat played by the former 9X9 Thai idol group member, Ice Paris; while Grace, the theatre enthusiast played by Nana Paisarnpayak.
Bad Genius: The Series will be available on Dimsum Entertainment starting on the 3rd of August and will air on the same day as Thailand. New episodes will be available every Monday and Tuesday. Meanwhile, the original movie, Bad Genius, will be available for streaming on the Dimsum Entertainment platform.
- StudioCanal promotes TV, digital, and film execs in strategic global content move 98 views | posted on September 22, 2020
- Celestial Tiger Entertainment launches KIX on MultiChoice’s DStv in Africa 37 views | posted on September 22, 2020
- Singaporean Tyen Rasif wins ‘Asian Dream’ 29 views | posted on September 23, 2020
- Blue Ant Media promotes Jamie Schouela to President, Global Channels and Media; Carlyn Staudt to Global General Manager, Love Nature 26 views | posted on September 24, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020