‘Descendants of the Sun’ Philippines wins big in 15th Seoul International Drama Awards
GMA Entertainment Group’s Pinoy adaptation of one of the world’s most well-loved drama series, Descendants of the Sun (DOTS), brought honor to the Network after winning the Most Popular Foreign Drama of the Year in the 15th Seoul International Drama Awards.
DOTSPh is the very first Philippine TV program to receive this recognition from the annual global festival.
The primetime series was included in the list of winners together with two other foreign dramas Snowpiercer produced by US broadcaster TNT and The New Pope produced by Sky Atlantic and HBO.
The prestigious award ceremony selected GMA’s Pinoy version among several remakes that originated from the KBS drama aired in South Korea in 2016, highlighting the influence of K-drama not only in Asia but also around the world.
DOTSPh, which premiered on 10 February is headlined by Dingdong Dantes and Jennylyn Mercado as alpha team leader Captain Lucas Manalo and cardiothoracic surgeon Dr. Maxine Dela Cruz, otherwise dearly known as ‘Big Boss’ and ‘Beauty,’ respectively.
Completing the star-studded cast are Rocco Nacino, Jasmine Curtis-Smith, Antonio Aquitania, Ricardo Cepeda, Paul Salas, Jon Lucas, Lucho Ayala, Prince Clemente, Pancho Magno, Renz Fernandez, Chariz Solomon, Andre Paras, Nicole Donesa, Reese Tuazon, Jenzel Angeles, Bobby Andrews, Neil Ryan Sese, Ian Ignacio, Rich Asuncion, Carlo Gonzales, Roi Vinzon, Hailey Mendez, Marina Benipayo, among others. The series is under the helm of esteemed director Dominic Zapata.
For the remake, the Entertainment Group inked a partnership with the Armed Forces of the Philippines which sealed the Network’s commitment to accurately represent the country’s military forces.
Seoul International Drama Awards is a festival that brings together all professionals in the field of TV drama production and media industry and global audiences who enjoy television dramas.
This year’s festival will be held on 10 September at the MBC Media Center Public Hall without an audience.
- StudioCanal promotes TV, digital, and film execs in strategic global content move 98 views | posted on September 22, 2020
- Celestial Tiger Entertainment launches KIX on MultiChoice’s DStv in Africa 37 views | posted on September 22, 2020
- Singaporean Tyen Rasif wins ‘Asian Dream’ 29 views | posted on September 23, 2020
- True crime documentary series ‘The Night Caller’ pre-sales from Abacus Media Rights 27 views | posted on September 25, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020