BBC Studios and Channel A (TV) sign landmark memorandum of understanding
Channel A – the South Korean cable TV channel airing news, entertainment and drama programming, and BBC Studios – a global content company and commercial subsidiary of the BBC Group, have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). The MOU signed on 10th July, in Donga Media Center in Cheonggyecheon-ro, Jongno-gu, Seoul focuses on the collaboration of content, the continuous exchange of knowledge, and business development opportunities between the two companies.
The MOU establishes a strategic partnership between the two companies to explore opportunities for the co-production of BBC Studios content in South Korea. In a symbolic deal for both companies, the partnership develops creative ties and co-production expertise – which has been a strategic priority for each organisation.
The two companies plan to reinforce their mutual competitiveness with co-production of global TV shows through this MOU. Included in the agreement, BBC Studios and Channel A will explore development opportunities in content production.
As part of the agreement, BBC Studios and Channel A will explore the acquisition of BBC Studios’ content. Starting this September, high-quality content, such as documentaries owned by BBC Studios, will air on Channel A.
Kim Cha-soo, the CEO of Channel A, said, “This MOU is meaningful to Donga Media Group, as it celebrates its 100th anniversary in 2020, and to Channel A as well, as it celebrates its 10th anniversary in 2021.” He also made a prediction by saying, “We will be able to provide differentiated content to the viewers through the global network of BBC Studios, as they have influence all around the world.”
Geo Lee, the SVP and GM of BBC Studios Northeast Asia, said, “This is the time we need to cooperate in order to deal with the fast-changing media environment,” and added by saying, “We are looking forward to the coexistence through partnerships with Channel A and overall contents industry.”
- GoDaddy and AXN launch Philippine reality show to jump-start Filipino entrepreneurs 52 views | posted on August 13, 2020
- On Viu in August: Latest releases include three K-drama series, award-winning Indonesian films 50 views | posted on August 11, 2020
- Grabyo supports Mediacorp in providing multi-platform coverage of the Singapore General Election 2020 39 views | posted on August 11, 2020
- Viddsee announces content partnership with Indonesia’s RCTI+ 31 views | posted on August 12, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia posted on July 7, 2020