The BBC’s new bureau in Hong Kong officially opened by BBC Director-General Tony Hall, who attended the recording in Hong Kong of the latest edition of the BBC World News TV debate programme, BBC Global Questions, which will discuss China’s place on the world stage. The programme’s Mandarin version, produced in Hong Kong by BBC News Chinese, will focus on the future of employment for Chinese youth.
Several years ago, to further improve reporting capabilities and to connect better with local audiences, the BBC moved more journalists to Hong Kong. Director-General Tony Hall will officially launch the new BBC bureau – home to 20 journalists working on news in Mandarin, Cantonese and English, as well as the commercial news operation, BBC Global News, with 11 staff supporting the commercial business in the region, alongside offices in Beijing and across Asia. The BBC also has an office for BBC Studios in Hong Kong, bringing world-class drama and entertainment programmes to Chinese audiences.
The BBC has a total weekly audience of a million people in Hong Kong where it is available on TV, via the BBC World News channel, and in simplified and traditional Chinese script, along with audio content in Cantonese and Mandarin. The BBC News Chinese weekly hour-long radio programme in Cantonese, Shi Shi Yi Zhou (Newsweek) is broadcast on local radio partner RTHK, along with the daily overnight broadcasts of BBC World Service radio in English. BBC Minute, a 60-second news bulletin in English, is carried by Hong Kong’s Metro Radio.
- GMA News and GMA Public Affairs are the top online news outlets in the Philippines 177 views | posted on August 4, 2020
- New young adult basketball mini-series ‘Fly The Jumper’ broke record viewerships 110 views | posted on August 3, 2020
- Astro: Agility in adapting to the new world 101 views | posted on August 3, 2020
- ABP News lights up the weekends with a slew of fresh programming 41 views | posted on August 3, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia posted on July 7, 2020