The BBC’s new bureau in Hong Kong officially opened by BBC Director-General Tony Hall, who attended the recording in Hong Kong of the latest edition of the BBC World News TV debate programme, BBC Global Questions, which will discuss China’s place on the world stage. The programme’s Mandarin version, produced in Hong Kong by BBC News Chinese, will focus on the future of employment for Chinese youth.
Several years ago, to further improve reporting capabilities and to connect better with local audiences, the BBC moved more journalists to Hong Kong. Director-General Tony Hall will officially launch the new BBC bureau – home to 20 journalists working on news in Mandarin, Cantonese and English, as well as the commercial news operation, BBC Global News, with 11 staff supporting the commercial business in the region, alongside offices in Beijing and across Asia. The BBC also has an office for BBC Studios in Hong Kong, bringing world-class drama and entertainment programmes to Chinese audiences.
The BBC has a total weekly audience of a million people in Hong Kong where it is available on TV, via the BBC World News channel, and in simplified and traditional Chinese script, along with audio content in Cantonese and Mandarin. The BBC News Chinese weekly hour-long radio programme in Cantonese, Shi Shi Yi Zhou (Newsweek) is broadcast on local radio partner RTHK, along with the daily overnight broadcasts of BBC World Service radio in English. BBC Minute, a 60-second news bulletin in English, is carried by Hong Kong’s Metro Radio.
- Quintus acquires factual titles for its VOD channels Free Documentary and Free Documentary Nature 54 views | posted on November 20, 2020
- Watch features and short films for free at the inaugural True Colors Film Festival 50 views | posted on November 20, 2020
- all3media international announces pre-sales to five continents for new Russell T. Davies drama ‘It’s A Sin’ 48 views | posted on November 20, 2020
- Winsing Animation spotlights its new IP at the ATF 41 views | posted on November 23, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020