Involving six intertwined fictional tales, Rise documents personal stories and struggles in the build up to last year’s historic general election in Malaysia. To the surprise of many, the election was a people’s revolt, deposing corrupt prime minister Najib Razak, and the ruling party after 61-years of rule.
It was produced by Fred Chong (Nasi Lemak 2.0, Hantu Gangster) through his Prodigee Film company, and backed by his digital media outfit WebTVAsia. WebTVAsia produces original content and acts as a multichannel network for some 2,500 Asian creators.
“The world wants to know how a small democracy like Malaysia managed to make a monumental political shift without violence and bloodshed. So I told this story from the lens of six normal citizens, to demonstrate that the power of change comes from unity and determination of its people, not the elected politicians.” Chong said.
Rise features a multi-racial cast of Remy Ishak, Mira Filzah, Sangeeta Krishnasamy, Jack Tan, Shashi Tharan and Mark O’Dea, and supporting actors including Sweet Qismina, Mustaqim Bahadon, Sharifah Sakinah, Yana Samsudin, Datuk Jalaluddin Hassan, Tony Eusoff, Pushpa Narayan, Moon Yoong and David Anthony.
- ZEASN announces brand-new Smart TV App Store V3.0 40 views | posted on September 18, 2020
- StudioCanal promotes TV, digital, and film execs in strategic global content move 40 views | posted on September 22, 2020
- Viu announces the launch of the inaugural Viu Pitching Forum in Malaysia 39 views | posted on September 21, 2020
- Abacus Media Rights sells CBC original series ‘Trickster’ to NITV & SBS On Demand Australia and more 39 views | posted on September 21, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020