STOCKHOLM – Classic Turkish series Ezel is being remade in Romania, following a deal between Eccho Rights and ProTV. Already in production this summer, Vlad will be a new take on the well-known series, with an initial run of 13 episodes set to broadcast in 2019.
Originally produced by Ay Yapim, Ezel is one of the most significant titles in Turkish drama history and has been at the forefront of the globalisation of Turkish series. Since the launch of the first season in 2009, distributor Eccho Rights has signed over 150 licenses for the series around the world. As a readymade the title has scored huge ratings across Eastern Europe, MENA and Asia, while becoming the first Turkish drama to be sold in every territory across Latin America.
The story of a young man on a mission for revenge after a betrayal by his friends and fiancé, Ezel has also seen success as a format, with remakes already aired in Mexico, Russia and Armenia, and the scripts being picked up in many more territories around the world. In 2010 Ezel was awarded the Best Scripted Format award at the C21 Format Awards.
“We are extremely excited about working on the adaptation of Ezel, the highest investment into local drama in recent Romanian television, bringing together the most acclaimed actors and filmmakers of our market. Vlad is one of the highlights of our 2019 grid, which will capture the hearts of our viewers, through gripping storytelling and cinematic production value,” said Stella Litou, Proramming Director, ProTV.
The series features star Romanian talents including Olympia Melinte, Diana Sar and Adrian Nartea in the eponymous lead role.
“This is a legendary series with a huge amount of history, both as a readymade and a script. This latest pick up shows that Ezel’s thrilling story continues to resonate with international producers and broadcasters, even some years after its first success,” said Handan Özkubat, Head of Eccho Rights’ Istanbul Office.
- The Q bolsters its original content offering; Announces first TV original ‘Crime Aur Kanoon’ 179 views | posted on July 20, 2021
- Astro launches its new Ultra Plug & Play Box 166 views | posted on July 23, 2021
- iQiyi reveals brand-new Chinese language drama slate 144 views | posted on July 21, 2021
- Asia’s e-sports broadcasters unlock an exciting world of gameplay 104 views | posted on July 20, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The Asian Television Awards announces Facebook as official industry partner by TVA Editor | posted on May 11, 2021