Endemol Shine announces first Asian creation of global hit drama “Humans” in China
LONDON – Global content creator, producer and distributor Endemol Shine Group has announced that Endemol Shine China will partner with local production house Croton Media, Kudos and Matador to create a local Mandarin language adaptation of critically acclaimed drama Humans.
Humans is set in a parallel present where the latest must-have gadget for any busy family is a ‘Synth’ – a highly-developed robotic servant eerily similar in appearance to human beings. These incredible machines share our homes, our jobs and our lives and so become the objects of our fear, lust, hatred, affection and even love.
Filming has recently begun on the Mandarin series in Shanghai, with the cast led by Ray Ma and Stephy Qi. Set in the fictional year 2035, when technology, in particular artificial intelligence will infiltrate and influence every aspect of our daily existence the series will keep the sinister, thrilling and emotional narrative of the original English language version, while continuing to boldly explore the rapidly evolving relationship between humanity and technology, asking what it really means to be Human.
William Tan, Managing Director of Endemol Shine China says “Humans marks our first scripted formats partnership deal with a local partner in China and having enlisted both UK and Chinese writers it’s truly a collaborative venture. Sci-fi drama is an under represented genre across the region and we really believe that this new take will set a new trend and that Endemol Shine China will continue to be the leader in creativity and innovation, making unique offerings to the market.”
The Mandarin series is based on Humans UK, as produced by Kudos for Channel 4 and AMC, which was adapted from the original Swedish series of Real Humans produced by Sveriges Television and Matador Film.
The third series of Humans finished its eight-episode run earlier this month on Channel 4 in the UK and AMC in the United States, to widespread critical acclaim. Its launch in 2015 was Channel 4’s most watched drama for over 20 years and it has since been sold across 178 territories by Endemol Shine International. The company will also distribute the Chinese version internationally.
- StudioCanal promotes TV, digital, and film execs in strategic global content move 93 views | posted on September 22, 2020
- Viu announces the launch of the inaugural Viu Pitching Forum in Malaysia 54 views | posted on September 21, 2020
- Abacus Media Rights sells CBC original series ‘Trickster’ to NITV & SBS On Demand Australia and more 45 views | posted on September 21, 2020
- Nippon TV’s ‘Your Turn To Kill’ receives award at 2020 Seoul International Drama Awards 37 views | posted on September 21, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020