Essential Media launches international scripted division
SYDNEY/LOS ANGELES – Leading content production company Essential Media Group has launched Essential Scripted, a new international arm focused on producing premium international scripted content for the small and big screen.
Headquartered in Sydney and Los Angeles, the launch announcement signals a return to the scripted market for Essential Media, following the sale of its drama catalogue to FremantleMedia in September 2017 and the merger with Quail Entertainment in April 2018.
Essential Media previously produced internationally acclaimed series such as Rake (ABC), Doctor Doctor (Nine Network), The Principal (SBS), Jack Irish (ABC) and the Disney movie Saving Mr Banks starring Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson.
Quail Entertainment’s previous scripted productions include the ABC Australia comedies At Home with Julia, Wednesday Night Fever and Timothy.
This move also follows the recent announcement of the acquisition of Essential Media Group by Kew Media Group.
Essential Scripted will be led by CEO Chris Hilton and Chief Content Officer Greg Quail. The company has appointed Emmy Award-winning producer Michelle Hardy (#7DaysLater) as Vice President of Scripted Australia, while Simonne Overend will continue in her role as Vice President of Scripted US.
Essential Media has also signed a first look deal with Hardy White Pictures, a joint venture between Michelle Hardy and director, Erin White (Sando).
Chris Hilton, CEO of Essential Media Group said: “We’re relishing the prospect of our return to drama production in Australia and the USA at a time when the opportunities have never been greater. We have an exciting new slate and with the support of our new partners at Kew we’re looking forward to bringing more premium scripted content to audiences around the world”.
- Meet the K-drama stars of the new series ‘Kairos’ on #TwitterBlueroom Live before its premiere 150 views | posted on October 23, 2020
- Asian storytelling, reimagined: New genres, fresh opportunities for Asian creators at the Singapore Media Festival 2020 51 views | posted on October 21, 2020
- Hotstar launches in Singapore with exclusive streaming of the Dream11 IPL 2020 Playoffs and Final 44 views | posted on October 20, 2020
- Abacus Media Rights appoints distribution sales expert Hana Palmer as Head of Sales 37 views | posted on October 21, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020