Essential Media launches international scripted division
SYDNEY/LOS ANGELES – Leading content production company Essential Media Group has launched Essential Scripted, a new international arm focused on producing premium international scripted content for the small and big screen.
Headquartered in Sydney and Los Angeles, the launch announcement signals a return to the scripted market for Essential Media, following the sale of its drama catalogue to FremantleMedia in September 2017 and the merger with Quail Entertainment in April 2018.
Essential Media previously produced internationally acclaimed series such as Rake (ABC), Doctor Doctor (Nine Network), The Principal (SBS), Jack Irish (ABC) and the Disney movie Saving Mr Banks starring Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson.
Quail Entertainment’s previous scripted productions include the ABC Australia comedies At Home with Julia, Wednesday Night Fever and Timothy.
This move also follows the recent announcement of the acquisition of Essential Media Group by Kew Media Group.
Essential Scripted will be led by CEO Chris Hilton and Chief Content Officer Greg Quail. The company has appointed Emmy Award-winning producer Michelle Hardy (#7DaysLater) as Vice President of Scripted Australia, while Simonne Overend will continue in her role as Vice President of Scripted US.
Essential Media has also signed a first look deal with Hardy White Pictures, a joint venture between Michelle Hardy and director, Erin White (Sando).
Chris Hilton, CEO of Essential Media Group said: “We’re relishing the prospect of our return to drama production in Australia and the USA at a time when the opportunities have never been greater. We have an exciting new slate and with the support of our new partners at Kew we’re looking forward to bringing more premium scripted content to audiences around the world”.
- The Q bolsters its original content offering; Announces first TV original ‘Crime Aur Kanoon’ 173 views | posted on July 20, 2021
- Astro launches its new Ultra Plug & Play Box 122 views | posted on July 23, 2021
- iQiyi reveals brand-new Chinese language drama slate 121 views | posted on July 21, 2021
- Asia’s e-sports broadcasters unlock an exciting world of gameplay 93 views | posted on July 20, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The Asian Television Awards announces Facebook as official industry partner by TVA Editor | posted on May 11, 2021