The Olympic Channel and Grupo Globo partner up in Brazil
MADRID – From Neymar’s spectacular golden goal at the Olympic Games Rio 2016 to the story of cross-country skier Victor Santos’ road to PyeongChang, fans across Brazil will now have more opportunities to experience the excitement of the Olympic Games all year round – through a new partnership between the Olympic Channel and Grupo Globo.
Beginning August 2018, viewers can watch both Olympic Channel original programming and Olympic-related content from Globo during Olympic Channel-branded broadcasted programming hours, on Globo’s free-to-air TV shows, such as Globo’s weekly magazine show Esporte Espetacular and SporTV’s news programme on pay TV, and also on a dedicated Olympic Channel digital portal on globoesporte.com. Programming will feature year-round coverage of Olympic sports and athletes highlighting locally relevant content produced by both the Olympic Channel and Globo.
The agreement marks a key distribution landmark for the Olympic Channel in South America and runs through 2032, which amplifies Globo’s media rights agreement with the International Olympic Committee (IOC) in Brazil for the Olympic Games.
“Having launched following the 2016 Rio Games, we are excited to collaborate with Globo to further engage Brazil’s passionate sports fans with the Olympic Movement all year round,” said Mark Parkman, General Manager of the IOC’s global Olympic Channel. “Deepening the connection between the Olympic Channel brand and the stories about the athletes and sports their audiences love contributes to the lasting legacy from the Rio Games.”
“It’s an honour to sign with the Olympic Channel after the successful results on our coverage of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games and the latest worldwide event, the Olympic Winter Games in PyeongChang, in February 2018. We continue to reinforce our mission of supporting and nurturing the Olympic Movement and satisfying our audience’s many interests and demands. Our commitment with consumers is to deliver full multiscreen content with an outstanding quality,” said Pedro Garcia, Grupo Globo’s Head of Sports Business.
Grupo Globo’s contribution will help the Olympic Channel to engage even more millions of Brazilian viewers who are used to seeing Olympic themes on Globo’s different platforms. During the Olympic Winter Games in PyeongChang, SporTV broadcast nearly 300 hours live to 19.5 million viewers, reaching 40% of the total pay TV Brazilian market.
The new strategic distribution partnership complements the Olympic Channel, which launched as a worldwide digital platform following the Closing Ceremony of the Olympic Games Rio 2016. Through collaborations with the IOC’s rights-holding broadcast partners and National Olympic Committees, the Olympic Channel is developing localised versions leading to more personalised experiences for Olympic fans around the world.
- iQiyi deepens international partnership with Dolby 84 views | posted on July 27, 2021
- 5 Asian romance dramas on iQiyi that will make you love ‘love’ again 55 views | posted on July 26, 2021
- The Q announces a lineup of new-age comedy series 52 views | posted on July 29, 2021
- ShemarooMe expands worldwide reach on connected televisions via partnership with ZEASN 51 views | posted on July 29, 2021
Asian Television Awards
- Here are your winners for the 25th Asian Television Awards – Day One by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 16, 2021
- The 25th Asian Television Awards ends on a high note with Entertainment and Performance Category winners announced by Monina Eugenio | posted on January 17, 2021
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- The Asian Television Awards announces Facebook as official industry partner by TVA Editor | posted on May 11, 2021