CNA’s “Across ASEAN” celebrates harmony despite diversity
SINGAPORE – Channel NewsAsia’s newest five-part series Across ASEAN showcases the diversity yet surprising similarities of ASEAN and its people, featuring relationships that flourish even across borders and different cultures.
With 10 member states and a combined population of more than 640 million, ASEAN is the world’s fastest growing region. Yet, beyond the headlines of politics and economies , connections are being forged on a more personal level.
Across ASEAN features five very different relationships that span across the various ASEAN countries. Each episode profiles a special bond between individuals from two different ASEAN countries, exploring the dynamics between them and the factors that have drawn them to each other.
Each relationship will provide an insight to the ties that can form between people from different backgrounds with different life experiences. These are the stories about the discoveries they make about themselves and each other.
“Producing this series has been both an eye-opening and a heart-warming experience. It was so clear to us that, in each episode, our profiles cared for each other, even if they didn’t always understand the other’s culture or life experiences. You could see that their affection for each other was warm and real. And very inspiring,” said Executive Producer, Ng Yuina.
Across ASEAN is a collection of inspiring stories of the unexpected bonds that can form between the diverse individuals who have made ASEAN their home.
Sofia, a young Singaporean volunteering in Cambodia, invites Ban, a tuk-tuk driver to join her for a beer in the midst of a downpour. From there, an unlikely friendship forms, strengthened by a shared passion for photography.
Episode 2: Mothers and Sons
Adi follows his dreams and leaves Indonesia to be the lead singer in a band in Malaysia. There, he meets his bandmate’s mother, Hazizah. In the decade since, they have forged a close relationship that rivals that of most mothers and sons.
Episode 3: Beyond the Ring
In the Muay Thai ring, Krai, a Thai trainer, and Sai, his Laotian protégé, have a connection built on blood, sweat and tears. Beyond the ring, separated from their families, they have also learnt to be there for each other.
Episode 4: Old Friends, Best Friends
Ann and Min move to the Philippines with their Filipino husbands after the Vietnam War. As cooks, they meet Jun who works helping displaced Vietnamese. Withstanding the test of time and relocation, these old friends have since become best friends.
Episode 5: A Modern Family
Sparks fly when Bruneian Zefri meets Indonesian Handara in London. As global citizens, they are now raising 3 multi-cultural children in Singapore. They may have roots in different cultures but this modern family is making their own way.
The series is currently available on video-on-demand at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/across-asean.
- Global Agency announces new sales for rom-com series ‘Daydreamer’ 10.1k views | posted on October 27, 2020
- BBC Studios announces deal with Discovery Inc. for ‘Top Gear’ catalogue in Japan 67 views | posted on October 26, 2020
- CNN International Commercial appoints Rob Bradley and Cathy Ibal to lead ‘Audience First’ strategy 48 views | posted on October 29, 2020
- Synamedia report: Knockout blow for sports piracy requires incentives and deterrents 40 views | posted on October 27, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020