Leading content and consumer company in Southeast Asia, Astro Malaysia Holdings Berhad (Astro) continues to broaden its network of alliances to add to its portfolio of Asian-themed content. Astro entered into several strategic content creation partnerships with renowned producers and filmmakers across several countries to produce and distribute original, premium miniseries, namely DO[S]A in Indonesia, which will debut on 14 February first in Malaysia and Brunei on Astro Channel 480, Astro ‘on Demand’, Astro Go and NJOI NOW.
Astro announced the latest of such strategic partnerships, DO[S]A, a collaboration with renowned Indonesian director, Ifa Isfansyah and acclaimed screenwriter, Salman Aristo. The director behind Laskar Pelangi, Garuda Di Dadaku and Sang Penari, Ifa is a multiple award winner. Salman needs no introduction with a string of successful hits including Laskar Pelangi, Ayat Ayat Cinta, Sang Pemimpi and his latest, Athirah won him Best Screenplay at the 2016 Indonesian Film Festival.
Khairul further added that next in the pipeline of Astro Original Series is ‘Sembilan’ which is also scheduled to be released in 2018. ‘Sembilan’, is an original horror-thriller mini-series and another Malaysia-Indonesia collaboration with an ‘A-List’ cast.
Astro’s other regional content partnerships include:
- Polis Evo 2, a collaboration with Indonesia’s Screenplay Films which follows an anti-narcotics squad and is due for cinema release this year in Indonesia and Malaysia featuring Zizan, Shaheizy Sam and Raelene Shah and the sequel to the hugely successful Polis Evo in 2016.
- 3 A.M. Bangkok Ghost Stories, a co-production with the renowned Thailand’s Five Star Production released in 2017.
- Door with Manila’s Epicmedia Productions in 2018.
- Adaptation and remake of ‘The Journey’ by China’s mm2 Entertainment and India’s Wee Folk Entertainment.
- Collaboration with CJ E&M of South Korea to distribute Korean content to multiple territories and co-produce content with regional appeal.