Cannes – Hot on the heels of wrapping its inaugural production in Toronto, Canada, Bell Media unveiled at MIPCOM today the next big music TV format, The Launch. Represented at the market by Jane Rimer, the all-new international format comes from Bell Media and world-renowned music mogul Scott Borchetta, President and CEO of Big Machine Label Group. Reinventing the music competition series genre, The Launch debuts a new and unique format, documenting an authentic, behind-the-scenes look at what it takes to break a new artist and bring a song to life.
Created for markets around the world, in each close-ended, hour-long episode of The Launch, five unsigned emerging artists compete for the opportunity to record and perform a new original song, mentored by a panel of internationally renowned music industry legends – from discovery to stardom in just 48 hours.
Each of the six episodes kicks off with the introduction of a new original song that has been created by a renowned songwriter. Then, each of the five artists audition for the mentors, including Borchetta, for the chance of a lifetime: to record that original song.
After deliberating, the mentors choose two of the artists they feel have the most potential and are the right fit for the original song, working with them over the next 48 hours to shape the song according to their abilities and strengths. And then it’s showtime: the two artists compete against one another, performing their rendition of the original song in front of a live audience as the mentors watch the song come to life.
The mentors then decide which version of the song will be released across the country immediately following the broadcast of the episode – ultimately deciding in that moment whose career will soar – and all in the span of one episode!
“Unlike any other music television program, each episode of The Launch begins with a new song created and shaped by the best-of-the-best within the music industry, filling a resounding gap in the genre by pairing new songs with the best-fitting emerging artists – and then immediately launching these new songs to the world,” said Randy Lennox, President, Bell Media. “Each week, our mentors and live studio audiences were blown away by the caliber of unsigned talent in our midst. We are proud of this genre-busting new program and can’t wait to showcase this original format to international buyers.”
- StudioCanal promotes TV, digital, and film execs in strategic global content move 93 views | posted on September 22, 2020
- Viu announces the launch of the inaugural Viu Pitching Forum in Malaysia 54 views | posted on September 21, 2020
- Abacus Media Rights sells CBC original series ‘Trickster’ to NITV & SBS On Demand Australia and more 45 views | posted on September 21, 2020
- Nippon TV’s ‘Your Turn To Kill’ receives award at 2020 Seoul International Drama Awards 37 views | posted on September 21, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020