Over the recent years, Discovery has collaborated with local creators and storytellers to co-create content that caters to the various audiences in Southeast Asia. Discovery Networks Asia-Pacific announces their production slate for 2017 with Frontier Borneo, which follows a group of Borneo’s unsung heroes as they discover and preserve Borneo’s tropical landscape and rich biodiversity. Produced by Beach House Pictures and Kyanite TV with the support of the Info-communications Media Development Authority (IMDA) and Perbadan Kemajuan Filem Nasional Malaysia (FINAS), the series uncovers rescue missions and deadly creatures in uncharted territories to fully reveal both the beauty and reality of frontier living in the island.
Another production out of Malaysia by Matavia Reka is Surviving Borneo, which is a series that follows local television host and influencer, Henry Golding, as the descendant of the once feared Iban tribe of Sarawak. Henry takes up a personal mission to discover his tribal roots through the unexplored and relentless jungles of his homeland in order to achieve his ‘Bejalai’ which is an Iban rites of passage.
Rohit Tharani, Director of Content Curation, Discovery Southeast Asia said, “In 2017, we are taking the lead and investing in more local content than ever before, bolstering our flagship channels and broadening the appeal for the millennial generation. We are well positioned to take risks and be experimental with the content we are curating across platforms. This presents an unique opportunity to deepen our connection with existing and new audiences across Southeast Asia.
Malaysia’s homegrown streaming service, Ton Ton lands carriage deal with HITS which brings in its’ curation of the best Hollywood TV shows to Ton Ton’s increasing subscriber base. HITS, the basic entertainment channel has more than eight million homes across Asia and the expansion to Malaysia welcomes in new users. Media Prima Television Networks owned OTT platform, Ton Ton, offers linear channels plus over 23,000 hours of catch-up and premium video content which includes a lineup of drama, talk shows, docudramas, and movies.
The success of Ton Ton is evident through its continuous addition of over 18,000 new members weekly with more than 6.6 million users. Ton Ton is uniquely positioned with 80% of its’ offerings from local content and HITS is the latest English-language, Bahasa Malay and Chinese-subtitled linear channel included in Ton Ton’s VIP service.
- StudioCanal promotes TV, digital, and film execs in strategic global content move 90 views | posted on September 22, 2020
- Viu announces the launch of the inaugural Viu Pitching Forum in Malaysia 49 views | posted on September 21, 2020
- Abacus Media Rights sells CBC original series ‘Trickster’ to NITV & SBS On Demand Australia and more 44 views | posted on September 21, 2020
- Nippon TV’s ‘Your Turn To Kill’ receives award at 2020 Seoul International Drama Awards 34 views | posted on September 21, 2020
Asian Television Awards
- Asian Television Awards broadcaster spotlight: Bangkok Broadcasting & T.V. Co., Ltd. by Monina Eugenio | posted on August 15, 2020
- Asian Television Awards to hold its 25th awards ceremony in Phnom Penh, Cambodia by Monina Eugenio | posted on July 7, 2020